GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Washington's Lost Plantation

This may be old news to some but I ran into this after trying to further research the information I found in the thread Civil War Markers in Jefferson County. Well after going down a rabbit hole, I came across this article about Bullskin Plantation or later known as Rockhall or Rock Hall Plantation depending on the source, which is a plantation formerly owned by George Washington. I found all this very interesting because where I work would be located on this property. I knew the area is very historic and have heard lots of stories about the area, but I had never heard that GW once owned it . There are several old buildings including a 1700 era barn with an adjacent house and then on another portion of the property is a house we all know as the "stone house" that is also thought to be from the 1700's (these dates are just what I've heard from other people I work with and have no idea if these are historically accurate but they do look the part). As I was researching Bullskin run there was a stone house they said was more or less an interim home for Washington and with some more research I found a picture. The one below.. Which I am quite sure is the "stone house" we actually use all the time. There are some changes and I will have to wait till tomorrow to go look and make a better comparison to the picture but it sure looks the part and it's in the right place. I'll take some pictures and post them and you guys can let me know what you think. This property is less than 1000m from the civil war marker and have already found documents referring to Revolutionary War soldiers being camped in the area too. Pretty interesting to be walking on such a historic site and I never even knew it. Again.. if this is old news and there is more information on here, please let me know.
Thanks,
Gary

504036_1.jpg

Last edited:

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Greenhat for the great information!

You have found a prime site most of us dream of visiting! Good luck.

Jun 23, 2011
Greenhat are you aware several Revolutionary area homes owned by members if the Washington family still exist in Jeff. Co...in fact more Washington's are buried in the Lutheran cemetery than any other place in the country!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions