Washingtons Lost Plantation
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By GreenHat
  • 1 Post By chirper97
  • 1 Post By loco oro
  • 1 Post By wvplug
  • 3 Post By Double Envelopment

Thread: Washingtons Lost Plantation

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2014
    Martinsburg, WV
    Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    57 times
    Metal Detecting

Washington's Lost Plantation

This may be old news to some but I ran into this after trying to further research the information I found in the thread Civil War Markers in Jefferson County. Well after going down a rabbit hole, I came across this article about Bullskin Plantation or later known as Rockhall or Rock Hall Plantation depending on the source, which is a plantation formerly owned by George Washington. I found all this very interesting because where I work would be located on this property. I knew the area is very historic and have heard lots of stories about the area, but I had never heard that GW once owned it . There are several old buildings including a 1700 era barn with an adjacent house and then on another portion of the property is a house we all know as the "stone house" that is also thought to be from the 1700's (these dates are just what I've heard from other people I work with and have no idea if these are historically accurate but they do look the part). As I was researching Bullskin run there was a stone house they said was more or less an interim home for Washington and with some more research I found a picture. The one below.. Which I am quite sure is the "stone house" we actually use all the time. There are some changes and I will have to wait till tomorrow to go look and make a better comparison to the picture but it sure looks the part and it's in the right place. I'll take some pictures and post them and you guys can let me know what you think. This property is less than 1000m from the civil war marker and have already found documents referring to Revolutionary War soldiers being camped in the area too. Pretty interesting to be walking on such a historic site and I never even knew it. Again.. if this is old news and there is more information on here, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Name:  504036_1.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  13.2 KB
    Last edited by GreenHat; Mar 09, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

us
    Mar 2005
    south charleston, wv
    White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker ADS
    134 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks Greenhat for the great information!

You have found a prime site most of us dream of visiting! Good luck.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    The alchemists in their search for gold discovered many other things of greater value.
    Ex animo

us
    Aug 2013
    541 times
    very cool, history is all around us!
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    PLUG

Mar 2014
    Randolph County, WV
    AT Pro and Pro Pointer
    101 times
    Good stuff. Amazing what one can find "digging" through history.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    So I'm going along, all of a sudden I get this SWEET hit! It's like my head is going to explode! I get down. I start diggin', I'm lookin'. And there it is, roundness in the hole! Woo hoo!! I start runnin' around, breaking tree limbs, doin' cart wheels and somersaults. I holler at Ringy! It's the greatest find ever! Sweet nectar in the hole! I know what this is! It's the handle of a sword. We've NEVER found ANYTHING this good! Sweet juice in the poc
    Archaelogist: It's a frying pan handle
    DOH!

us
    Jun 2011
    6 times
    Greenhat are you aware several Revolutionary area homes owned by members if the Washington family still exist in Jeff. Co...in fact more Washington's are buried in the Lutheran cemetery than any other place in the country!
    Last edited by Double Envelopment; Apr 12, 2014 at 08:59 AM.

Sponsored Links