West Virginia Newbie looking for some info

maggiemutt

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2007
Hi All! I hope this time Im posting in the right area, if not please accept my apologies.
After much research over the past months, I got me an Ace 250 and am anxious to get to using it. However, I have tried to contact proper authorities to MD in the local city parks, local schools, camps and other common MD places but I keep comming up with dead ends. Nobody seems to know if it can be done or else they arent getting back in contact with me and Im about at wits end!!!!
Should I just be daring and go to the local parks and schools and start detecting and see if anyone tells me to leave? Also, if anyone here is from WV and expecially North Central WV area, were do you do your hunting? Any good places that you would advise???

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth
greetings, in texas where i live, the schools are open if they are public schools. you pay taxes and are allowed to use them; just not during a school day. parks are public land also. i have been to 200 or more in 5 yrs and never had one single person challenge me. just act like you belong there, and take care of the places you visit. pick up trash, FILL IN ALL HOLES, and the like. have fun and please post what you find. thanx and God bless. gf2 in texas

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Hey there!
I am in Hagerstown Maryland, if you are close let me know and you can join me and my detecting partner.
If not, good luck and remember, if there are no signs, your chances are good that you are ok.
Ty

jddave79

Aug 22, 2007
Northern,WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Garrett ACE250
I'm located in north central WV....or at least I'll be returning there in January. Drop me an email sometime....we'll talk. JD in WV (email posted in profile)

charlie8137

Feb 8, 2009
Barboursville
Detector(s) used
GTI-1500
I live in near Milton and been detecting for several years in West Virginia. Any public property (schools, local parks, etc) are open to metal detecting and of course private properties need permission. As a rule of thumb, if you can't find the right person for permission on public property, metal detect the site until someone says you can't. All state owned land such as state parks are off limits. Colleges like Marshall told me I could metal detect but I couldn't dig holes. (no metal detecting). Good luck

Charlie

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Is the Milton flea market still doing well? I set up there about 7-8 years ago and did very well, both buying and selling. Thanks for your info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread