What I just learned about WV

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
My son who's 19 took this year off from school to ski bum and work for a ski shop in Ghent WV. Since he has paperwork etc.. to take care of before going to college in the fall my wife and I made the eight hour trip down to pick him up. Now imagine my suprise to find modern shopping malls and beautiful new homes through out the trip. Well maintained roadways that were actually paved and people who obviously don't or at least don't seem to have been affected by, in breading. :D
And people galore. You guys definately need and desearve an update on your states image, or at least I needed an update cause I was really suprised at my prejudiced perceptions vs the facts as I learned them first hand. So I hope this post serves as a myacoppa on my predetermined misconceptions about your great state and it's people. I hope to be back soon just for the fun of it. ;)

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words brother. I grew up in WV and cringe every time I hear someone talk down about my state.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love your avatar dog ;)

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Thanks for noticing. ;) We don't all resemble the remarks. But just about the time we start to shake the stereotype, someone does something stupid... Like those kids in Logan county. But you know, the media didn't run with that one like I thought they would, I suppose there's still time. ::)

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
I was born and raised here. I will die here. It is a well kept secret and I'd kinda like to keep it that way. The feeling you get is very laid back, alot like some of the deep southern towns of this country. We have been portrayed as hilljacks due to inbreeding ;) lol, although I do have a cousin with one leg shorter than the other? He can give a billygoat a run for his money! Come on back anytime, just don't tell a lot of people about W.Va. They might want to come and stay and bring some of the BIG City ways with them. :(

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I was born in Marion County, little coal town of Farmington. My parents moved me to Michigan when I was 10. I forgive them now. Like most of us, I will return someday.

[youtube=425,350]DC8nDdPM_Qk[/youtube]

DM

OldCrazyLarry

Greenie
Aug 17, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Classic
Shhhhh!!...Don't spread that around too much. West Virginia had one of the lowest crimes rates and the third lowest property tax rates in the nation. It's a great place to live and raise children and the people are the friendly, considerate, and polite. I personally love the image the state has to outsiders....lol. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Thank you for your observation and kind remarks.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
The only footage of WV that ever seems to make the news is some coal mining shanty town . Most
of WV isn't like that . Keeps foreigners out though . ;D

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.. I am from Faimont WV and now I am in Florida. My parents moved down here when I was 2 years old and I always visited WV when I could. It is a very Beautiful state. Thanks for sharing ya'lls story.
Happy Hunting,
Kellyco Chick

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Have to agree, I've had family living on both sides of Pa-W.V. border for more than 200 years, near FayetteCo., Pa. & Preston Co., W.V.. there's still a town & a creek
named after my family near the border. Probably had family in that tri-state area of
WV, Pa, & Md. when Braddock & Washington went thru there in the 1750's. Nothin
at all wrong with them mountain folk, you gotta give em time to take a likin to ya.
Also love the country down around Elkins & Parsons, Dry Fork is a beautiful mountain stream & pulled more than a few native brookies out of tiny Clove? creek.

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
WV is my favorite place after Michigan, I lived and worked in Morgantown until I inherited a place on my favorite salmon/trout river. If they had deep water sailing and salmon in WV I'd have never left.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I lived in Greenbrier county for 12 years and 4 crazy years in Morgantown. Even though I live in Va now I still consider WV to be home. I get sick and tired of all the slander and bad rep the state gets. On the other hand it keeps alot of people out of the state which is good imo. Most of my friends and family are still in wv, and I'm always looking for excuses to get back, usually to go fishing or do some arrowhead hunting. LETS GO .... MOUNTAINEERS!

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005
if its that nice maybe i will move my entire town down there . lol just kidding. i knew it had to be a nice state. here in pa. we get taxed to death..

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Property taxes are low in W.V. I just do not like the tax on food. Oh well it is a beautiful state.
I just bought a new ATV and when I went to register the title, West Virginia hit me with a 5% title fee. That's 5% of the purchase price, and it is over and above the 6% sales tax. Ticked me off for sure. I moved away from WV to find employment 40 yrs ago and returned 3 yrs ago after retiring. This state has always been home to me too, but I am probably going to postpone buying anything else until I move to a state that has lower taxes. The taxocrats just don't get it so I am voting with my pocketbook as well as my ballot. You can bet I will explain my reasons too.

Last edited:

I Dig WV

Greenie
May 25, 2014
Tad,WV
Detector(s) used
white's coinmaster hp classic III ....V3i...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:weee:y'all come back now...u hear me talkin ?.............glads ta have ya...:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread