AVC Militia Plate

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
A few months ago, I found what I believe to be a rare AVC militia plate (private land, with owner's permission). Judging from other items found near it on later dates (Confederate Lined I and North Carolina State Seal), I believe it to be a Alabama Volunteer Corps. It was badly bent (see photos - before), but professionally restored (see photos - after). Although not perfect because of the damaged condition when found, I still believe it to have some value.

Although I HATE to sell it, I need the money! I have a buyer - just need to give him a fair market value.

Thanks,
Jack

Attachments

• AVC plate 2.JPG
    AVC plate 2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 640
  • AVC plate 3.JPG
    AVC plate 3.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 641
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 639
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 636
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I notice a lot of folks looking, but no evaluations! Just take a stab at what you think--I promise you won't hurt my feelings--I just need some opinions! Thanks, Jack.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I can find a lot of examles of AVC plates - none like yours. I think the first step is attributing it - then it would be easier to place a value.

I'm not saying it's NOT from the Alabama Vols... just get closer to proving it.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I guess I jumped the gun somewhat on my attribution--I was just going by Hanover Brass's catalog which makes reproduction plates and has a repro in their catalog just like it with the AVC and all-they list it as Alabama Volunteer Corps. My plate was also one of the featured "recent finds" items in North-South Trader's Civil War magazine (vol 33 no.6/2008. In the caption, Steve Sylvia, publisher of the magazine and renound collector and relic hunter, says "Collectors debate the meaning of the acronym- Albany Volunteer Cadets or, my favorite choice, Alabama Volunteer Corps." I guess I still need to do more thorough research to positively attribute the plate to one organization or the other, but so far my research has turned up all "dead ends"! I have consulted Steve Mullinax's and Sydney Kerksis's excellent plate reference books as well as many others, but so far, no luck!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Wow... nice research!

Don't be afraid to write some experts and include some great pictures... you never know what they are not telling everyone else!

Best of luck... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thanks again Montana Jim--I'm going to keep digging until I find out something! Might do a little ground digging too, if this darn snow and ice will melt! Jack.

BamaRelics

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIB, DMC2Ba, Tesoro Tejon, White's MXT, Anfibio Multi, Fisher F19, Teknetics G2+.
If you decide to definately part with this plate, I would be interested in buying it. Let me know.

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you found out anything on the plate yet?

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
No, not really. I intended to take it to the Richmond Show this past weekend, but too many things came up, and I didn't make it.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Did you ever find out anything on the plate. I've been digging over 40 years and have never seen one like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread