What is 28 pounds of 99.99% pure liquid mercury worth?

AnIrishBear

Jun 16, 2009
Hello all.

I found 28 pounds of medical instrument grade liquid mercury in my fathers estate. He was also an amateur gold panner and used it for a lot of what he called "tailings" that he brought home that needed "further processing." He had a special shed setup for this work, and never brought it into the field. I want to find a good, responsible home for it (seeing it can be dangerous to persons and the environment in the hands of idiots) and was wondering what this stuff is worth, and where I can sell it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kelly

Attachments

• LiquidMercury.jpg
    LiquidMercury.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 15,503

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
AnIrishBear said:
Hello all.

I found 28 pounds of medical instrument grade liquid mercury in my fathers estate. He was also an amateur gold panner and used it for a lot of what he called "tailings" that he brought home that needed "further processing." He had a special shed setup for this work, and never brought it into the field. I want to find a good, responsible home for it (seeing it can be dangerous to persons and the environment in the hands of idiots) and was wondering what this stuff is worth, and where I can sell it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kelly

:o have you poured that into a bowl to take a pic? is that safe :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
A

AnIrishBear

Jun 16, 2009
The information you provided was regarding a mercury spill by school children and the actions of idiots. In a spill situation the surface area exposed for evaporation is thousands of times, if not tens of thousands of times higher than a "pool" of the same weight in a container. The picture was taken in my fathers old gold panning processing shed where there was plenty of ventilation and the material was placed back in the flask after the picture was taken. So, yes, in the hands of a competent adult that knows what they are doing it is perfectly "safe." It is used safely in small batches by amateur and semi-pro and professional gold prospectors every day. It is as safe as any dangerous chemical is...even chlorine bleach in the hands of the mentally challenged is MUCH more dangerous than pure liguid mercury ever will be.

Thanks for the warning, but I do not intend on selling it to children that want to play with shinny stuff. The warning on the danger was posted in the request for the value of it...the original intent of the posting, and that posting was "on topic."

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
AnIrishBear said:
The information you provided was regarding a mercury spill by school children and the actions of idiots. In a spill situation the surface area exposed for evaporation is thousands of times, if not tens of thousands of times higher than a "pool" of the same weight in a container. The picture was taken in my fathers old gold panning processing shed where there was plenty of ventilation and the material was placed back in the flask after the picture was taken. So, yes, in the hands of a competent adult that knows what they are doing it is perfectly "safe." It is used safely in small batches by amateur and semi-pro and professional gold prospectors every day. It is as safe as any dangerous chemical is...even chlorine bleach in the hands of the mentally challenged is MUCH more dangerous than pure liguid mercury ever will be.

Thanks for the warning, but I do not intend on selling it to children that want to play with shinny stuff. The warning on the danger was posted in the request for the value of it...the original intent of the posting, and that posting was "on topic."

ok, sorry!i didn't mean to imply you were mentally challenged or anything :D

Other than it being dangerous and thermometers i don't know much about it :-\
Out of interest, how is it used in gold panning?

OP
OP
A

AnIrishBear

Jun 16, 2009
It is used by gold "prospectors" and "panners," along with jewelers to recover very small amounts of gold and gold dust. It is also used by those recovering small amounts of gold from gold-plated items and to recover the gold from items that have had "gold leaf" applied. It "amalgamates" gold...it actually disolves gold into itself just like water disolves salt into itself. From what I remember a pound of mercury will "amalgamate" anywhere from 3 to 6 pounds of gold. It is also used in dentistry...it is used in "silver fillings" for cavaties.

There is a topic on it on this site that may be of interest to you:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,203206.0.html

Hope this helps.

Kelly

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I remember as a kid breaking the ends of the thermometer open to watch the Mercury splatter all over the floor and trying to pick it up and play with it.... :laughing9:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note here.

If you do sell mercury, you must give an MSDS - doesn't matter if you are a private party or an individual. (some places don't, but, its a Federal thing, not a state thing - EPA) (for those who don't know: Material Safety Data Sheet - you can print one on line), and they need to certif that they are over 18, and received an MSDS.

Beth

PS: I remember playing with mercury in school. We had a heck of a time chasing the "quicksilver". And, who'd a thunk - no one got sick or died.

Of course, they don't mind it if we have all been carrying around mouthfuls of the stuff in our fillings.. :laughing9: :laughing9: :dontknow:

mdp613

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 28 pounds is a 1/2 flask ... have same will sell.

I am curious as to whether you wer able to find a buyer for your presious metal. It is clearly still used and it should have some scrap value. The most dangerous weapon is ignorance.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't want to tell you what to do with this stuff... But don't get caught with it. It is high on the danger list. I have seen a small amount dropped by accident at a estate auction and it ended up costing the family over 75 G's to get it cleaned up. They lithely removed all the dirt in the back yard and sent it to a clean up site in Texas. Little over kill

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
onfire said:
Don't want to tell you what to do with this stuff... But don't get caught with it. It is high on the danger list. I have seen a small amount dropped by accident at a estate auction and it ended up costing the family over 75 G's to get it cleaned up. They lithely removed all the dirt in the back yard and sent it to a clean up site in Texas. Little over kill

LOL!

Do you have to tear down you home when you brake a CFL bulb in your home?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
As a kid, my brother & I put a little mercury in our mouths and slushed it around. We liked the funny coolness under the tongue. Ghee whiz, we're both alive after over a half century. BUT, don't eat carrots......100% of the people that did in 1890 have all died.
I value the EPA as I value politics.....IF you know what I mean.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone used mercury to shine dimes? We really had fun with, it as kids. Im sure quarters would shine up just as good, but that was big money in those days. Also used to melt sinkers on the kitchen stove, nice smell! No wonder I had a hard time in school! :dontknow:

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
maipenrai said:
Has anyone used mercury to shine dimes? We really had fun with, it as kids. Im sure quarters would shine up just as good, but that was big money in those days. Also used to melt sinkers on the kitchen stove, nice smell! No wonder I had a hard time in school! :dontknow:
Hilarious!
I never put it in my mouth but I did break one or two thermometers and fiddle around with it on the bathroom floor. I cant recall where it ended up. Must have rolled it on a piece of paper and dumped down the sink (about 1972). If I caught my kids doing that stuff today I would twist there ears 180 degrees and drag their arses up the stairs to their bedroom. poor kids. Could be good cause for my sorry grades as well. har har.

crabshaver

Feb 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was searching on-line for mercury. I am in the beginnings of a large telescope build. I am considering using mercury for my primary mirror. As the temperature at this location varries, as well as interesting humidity changes.

What price would you consider for the liquid metal?

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to check to see if your dad used any to collect gold with if he was using it with panning...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread