🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What are the dates on the maps?
Are the maps signed? If so, by whom?
Are they hand drawn?
Provenence would enhance the value; showing the trail from who created the maps through the various owner's names and their connection to the map and/or to one another.
How about some pics?
Professional verification would be very helpful--for the evaluation.
Iwo Jima was, of course, one of the most significant battles of WW II. Relics from that particular conflict would be of great interest to WW II collectors.
Let us know.
Don.....

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IWA JIMA WAR MAP WHATS IT WORTH PICTURE POSTED

THERE ARE THREE MAPS IN THIS SET BUT I AM ONLY POSTING ONE OF THEM THESE MAPS ARE CALLED ENEMY INSTALLATION MAP I KNOW THAT THEY ARE ORIGINAL BECAUSE MY FRIEND BOUGHT THE HOUSE THAT LT. CHENNAULT LIVED IN AND IT WAS IN THERE IT IS IN THE ORIGINAL ALUMINUM CONTAINER AND THEY ARE ALL THREE LAMINATED OF COURSE OLD FASHIONED LAMINATION THE MAPS ARE 16X21 AND IS DATED11 FEB. 1945 THE LAST ONE IS SIGNED BY LT. CHENNAULT ON THE BACK IT IS A SECRET RESTRICTED IN COMBAT MAPS AND IS OF THE VOLCANO ISLAND IN IWO JIMA CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THE VALUE?

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 027.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lieutenant General Claire Lee Chennault was the leader of the Flying Tigers. Was 'your' Lt. Chennault a relative, perhaps a son? Gen. C. had 8 kids by his first wife and the value of your maps would certainly be enhanced if 'your' Chennault was related to the general.
Don.....

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HE WAS A HALF BROTHER TO HIM

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, you may wish to contact the Combat Veterans of Iwo Jima, give them a copy of your maps and ask it they know collectors of original Iwo material.

The Combat Veterans of Iwo Jima are located at 4600 Duke Street, Suite 418, Alexandria, VA, 22304-2517. Telephone 703-212-8567, e-mail [email protected].

I find it historically interesting that your maps are dated about one week before the actual invasion on February 19.

What is the name of the Lt. C. who signed the map?
Don........

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I could not even venture a guess as to what it would be worth, but I don't know if I would sell them. To have an artifact like that would be priceless.

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you people are so much help i also have some old books about different wars and old atlas books also some federal duck stamps signed by E.N.Chennault which may have been related to him that came out of this house.I live about 8 blocks from thee house.i will try to get more information tomorrow.thanks bildon

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E.N. CHANNAULT WAS LT. EARNEST NELSON CHANNUALT AND WAS A HALF BROTHER TO GEN CLARIE LEE CHANNAULT THE OLD HOME PLACE WAS IN GILBERT LOUISIANA BUT IT BURNED DOWN A FEW YEARS AGO .HOWEVER LT. EARNEST NELSON CHANNAULT HOUSE WAS SOLD A FEW YEARS AGO AND IS STILL STANDING IT HAS A NEW OWNER NOW.DO YOU THINK THE SIGNED DUCK STAMPS WOULD HAVE MUCH VALUE ?I LISTED SOME ON EBAY BUT HAVE NOT GOT ANY BIDS . THANKS BILDON

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mackaydon i sent email to the people in Va. and they email me back wanting more information so i sent that and they are forwarding it to a Mr.Dan King Thanks Bildon

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I AM POSTING THE OTHER TWO MAPS AND THE CONTAINER FOR THE PEOPLE WHO MIGHT WANT TO SEE THEM Picture 031.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 2,157
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 4,543
OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take a picture shortly and do so. Bill

OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lt.Chennault was a engineer and may have help draw these maps later he became major so i have ben told . bildon

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are holding a great little piece of history. I hope that you can get additional verification on those maps too. God luck and keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread