Glass experts? Pontil, applied handle.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
You can still see the price in grease pencil, but I got a 25% early-bird discount: $3.56. I'm no glass expert, but I know a pontil mark when I see it, and there's no seam on the applied lip. The applied handle has a decorative flourish at the base where it makes a tiny loop. There are bubbles, but they are really small. Is it old? Where should I start my eBay listing? Thanks for any help! Oh yeah . . . I have two favorite thrift stores, this one is from Value Village.

Attachments

• Priceside.jpg
    Priceside.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 417
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 385
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Pontil.jpg
    Pontil.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 379

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now, don't lose it on me batcap, but I don't think this bottle is as old as it's trying to look. :icon_scratch:
I think it is definitely mouth blown, has a broken pontil on the base, has the applied lip on top and and the curled loop handle but . . .

The age on the base looks artificial to me. It looks like its been applied by mechanical means. :dontknow:

Sorry man, that's just my opinion.
Hopefully somebody else will jump in and prove me wrong! :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Antiquarian said:
Now, don't lose it on me batcap, but I don't think this bottle is as old as it's trying to look. :icon_scratch:
I think it is definitely mouth blown, has a broken pontil on the base, has the applied lip on top and and the curled loop handle but . . .

The age on the base looks artificial to me. It looks like its been applied by mechanical means. :dontknow:

Sorry man, that's just my opinion.
Hopefully somebody else will jump in and prove me wrong! :laughing7:

Mine is a very clear and well lit photo - macro mode from a mere 2 mp Kodak. Do you see that one area that doesn't have so many scratches? This bottle will rock back and forth if you tap it lightly, but the more lightly scratched area is the area that is off the table when sitting still. Can you post a pic of a more "naturally" worn bottom with similar clarity? Show me what you're talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions