1821 Large cent

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 1821 large cents and i was wondering what the members of this forum would grade/value them at. They've both sold at auction and i'm trying to see if my pricing is similar to yours..After a few guesses i'll announce what they sold for and we can have a "competition" to see who is closest i guess lol. Just curious at to what you all think.
KGrHqQOKigE12ZKmdLBNjT24qMQw_12.jpg
KGrHqMOKoYE10Mb8P4BNjT3J2lg_12.jpg

1-4.png
2-3.png

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The first coin would grade G-4, according to James F. Ruddy's Photograde, one of the better photographic guides to grading coins. The second coin would grade G-7, but not VG-8, because there is not a full LIBERTY visible. That means all the letters of LIBERTY must be full and complete. Also, the ends of the headbands in the hair are barely visible.

While there is some discrepancy with grading, all letter of LIBERTY should be complete before a grade of VG can be obtained. Both coins show some damage, so it's possible they could be dropped another point or two in the strict sense of grading.

OP
OP
Th3Offspring

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuberale said:
The first coin would grade G-4, according to James F. Ruddy's Photograde, one of the better photographic guides to grading coins. The second coin would grade G-7, but not VG-8, because there is not a full LIBERTY visible. That means all the letters of LIBERTY must be full and complete. Also, the ends of the headbands in the hair are barely visible.

While there is some discrepancy with grading, all letter of LIBERTY should be complete before a grade of VG can be obtained. Both coins show some damage, so it's possible they could be dropped another point or two in the strict sense of grading.

Wow, wasn't expecting such an in-depth reply! Thanks for that, any thoughts on value?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I guess if someone was trying to fill a set you might get $50 apiece but I would guess the average auction price at around $30 to $35.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
Th3Offspring

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
savant365 said:
I guess if someone was trying to fill a set you might get $50 apiece but I would guess the average auction price at around $30 to $35.

HH Charlie

Pretty spot on lol, i am in the process of putting a set together and was watching these two on ebay the past few weeks. the top one sold for 31 and the bottom sold for 33. I bought the bottom one and i feel like i got a better deal than the person who paid 31 for the top one.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Th3Offspring said:
savant365 said:

HH Charlie

Pretty spot on lol, i am in the process of putting a set together and was watching these two on ebay the past few weeks. the top one sold for 31 and the bottom sold for 33. I bought the bottom one and i feel like i got a better deal than the person who paid 31 for the top one.

I am a long way from being any kind of coin expert but I don't think you got hurt at all. Good luck finishing your set :thumbsup:

HH Charlie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread