train depot, order board

joel_don

Aug 11, 2011
Jefferson County, Ms.
Detector(s) used
Whites
I will be dismantling an abandoned train depot, to reclaim lumber. The order board still stands above the depot, with ladder and everything is in tact. What would the value of such be? I have read some local articles that say they are extremely rare and most are in museums.

Attachments

• IMAG1460.jpg
    IMAG1460.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 771

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey joel_don, I've go to tell you how lucky you are! Getting to take apart an old rr station! Do you get to keep anything you want? Now about you're "orderboard". That's actually a "semaphore", a type of signal that depot agents, switchmen, and locomotive train crew, especially engineers and brakemen, would use. The semaphore would have a long arm that when activated, by hand and levers, would either drop or raise. At it would, a light inside the semaphore would be covered by either a red, yellow, or green lens. This would tell the engineer, when aproaching a station, whether to stop, slow down, or continue, if not on the schedule for that train. Not only did the lights tell the engineer whether he needed to stop, slow down, or go, but also the position of the signal arm. If the arm was pointing straight up, it meant "stop" or "danger". If the arm was at an angle, it meant "slow down" or "proceed with caution". And laying down (picture an L) it meant "all clear" or "proceed". We have one of these at the RR museum I volunteer at here in NC. If I were you, I would either keep it or sell it. (Or you can give it to me... I'm a HUGE trainnut and I've always wanted one of these. Plus, my birthday's next week :tongue3:) Here is a chart of the arm meanings and a picture of the one at my RR museum. Let me know if you find anything else! (Or if you want to give it to me as a birthday gift! :laughing9:) Good luck! :thumbsup:

Blessings,
ncsilverspider

(Oh, if you ever want to sell ANYTHING rr related, well, you know who to call! :laughing7:)

Attachments

• nc_trans_5.jpg
    nc_trans_5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,428
  • img-7415-spencer-yard-passenger-station-copy-small1.jpg
    img-7415-spencer-yard-passenger-station-copy-small1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 854
  • 1905_1282101408.jpg
    1905_1282101408.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 889
  • sigs16.gif
    sigs16.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 3,821
OP
OP
joel_don

joel_don

Aug 11, 2011
Jefferson County, Ms.
Detector(s) used
Whites
I can keep anything I find but, the main goal is to complete the purchasing of the depot. I am mainly after all the 150 year old cypress but, I love anything old and will be hunting for all the extras, I can come across. You almost had me, with your birthday but, mine is Sunday. I am interested in its value and finding it a good home. 8)

I've noticed that most of them I have seen have red, yellow and green reflectors but, this one only has red and green but, none are broken and everything is there..

Attachments

• IMAG1456-1.jpg
    IMAG1456-1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 468

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joel_don said:
I can keep anything I find but, the main goal is to complete the purchasing of the depot. I am mainly after all the 150 year old cypress but, I love anything old and will be hunting for all the extras, I can come across. You almost had me, with your birthday but, mine is Sunday. I am interested in its value and finding it a good home. 8)

I've noticed that most of them I have seen have red, yellow and green reflectors but, this one only has red and green but, none are broken and everything is there..

:tard: Really? MAN!!!!! :'( I would give it a great home! My room is covered in rr memoribilia, lanterns, signs, lights, tools, china, etc. What if I posted a few pics of my collection? How much do you want? (I cannot afford $150 and up) I would really LOVE to put that in my collection... I have it on my list (with about a million other things)... bummer. Well, I hope you can complete the depot purchasing. Let me know if you find anything... The one thing I am looking for, except that signal ;D, is the board that hung either inside or outside a station where station and platform agents wrote down the trains, what time they pulled in, what time they pulled out, and where there going. That would be amazing to hang on my wall! Something like the pic below... Hope you have a good b-day! Keep me in mind please, because next week, on my 18th b-day, I will be testing for my Drivers License! :laughing7: When I do get it, the truck you see below is mine! 8) :hello2: Good luck with everything and God Bless!

-ncsilverspider

Attachments

• southern_arrival_departure-board1.jpg
    southern_arrival_departure-board1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 5V25T65U13k93mb3l1bbgc07fd20309721dcf.jpg
    5V25T65U13k93mb3l1bbgc07fd20309721dcf.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,495

Margaritaman

Jul 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Train order signal

Your train order signal is a "Harrington Train Order Signal." Train order signals are red and green 99% of the time. You are either telling the train to stop and pick up orders, or to proceed.
I have this odd obsession with railroad signals and narrowed it down to train orders and semaphores. Let's just say I have more than I should and I do have a Harrington in my collection that I restored.
Feel free to message me regarding your find. I realize this thread is old but hopefully you'll still notice the reply.

bckrsz.jpg
harrsz.jpg

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Margaritaman, Is that your collection?!? :tard: WOW!!!! That's AWESOME!!!! Do you think you could post some up close pics of your collection here? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...her-major-railroad-enthusiasts-out-there.html

It's a thread I started where people can show of their rr collectin, whether it be signals, papaers, tools, china, etc. Those would fit in perfectly! That is a great collection! Any for sale! :tongue3: Good luck and HH!

-ncsilverspider

Margaritaman

Jul 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol. Thanks. I'm actually in the process of photographing all of them them I will host them somewhere like PB. From there you are more than welcome to use to share.
And yes, they are all for sale (minus my peach basket wig wag), and a few you don't see. I cycle them all of the time. Priced from $50 to ...ahem. Message me your email please and we can continue there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread