Antique Wrought Iron and Wood Hog Butchering Hanger With Hooks

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
The guy I got it from appeared to be in his 70's, and he said it was old when he was employed to use it maybe 50 years ago. He said that this was used to hang hogs, but not cows, by the tendons in their heels to exsanguinate and butcher them. He shared a couple of gruesome stories about getting accustomed to butchering livestock. Then he said it hung on his wall for many years and he was willing to sell it for $10, so I bought it without negotiating.

Using his explanation as search terms, I found one other example at Worthpoint. It seems he was not pulling my leg. I almost signed up for the free 7 day trial but there have been some complaints about their business practices. So, how much do you think I can sell this thing? It's NOT gonna hang on MY wall for 50 years, that's for sure.

Attachments

• HogHanger 001.jpg
    HogHanger 001.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 5,452
  • HogHanger 002.jpg
    HogHanger 002.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,741

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
If it is what he represented it's called a gambrel . Looks more like a single tree to me :dontknow:

At $10 he got his money's worth .

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Singletree it is. Maybe the device was sometimes used as a gambrel. It seems quite old, hand hammered and all. Worth $5 to $40 on ebay. Thanks Truckinbutch, giving it the proper name is all I needed to figure out the value.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! single tree.
We used them all the time when I was younger, as we always butchered our own livestock. Being a self-supporting family used to be a common way of life. I miss it sometimes. We had a milk cow, chickens, pigs, etc. Hog butchering days were the best. Once they were killed and dressed, the hogs hung for a couple days or more to season the meat (this is still done with nearly all meat. Beef may hang for a couple weeks sometimes before butchering.). The single tree is what hung them with the carcass opened, so that cooling of the meat was even inside & out. It also helped in hanging them high enough to keep the critters from getting them.
I can still remember the fried fresh tenderloin on butchering days. Good stuff!
We still use the single tree to hang deer before butchering. Good venison comes from proper cleaning and aging too. Usually a week or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread