Found this yesterday

coachwillie

Apr 7, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious as to what this might be worth.

IMG00192-20120608-1002.jpg
IMG00193-20120608-1004.jpg

A local historian identified it as being a cannonball from a Mountain Howitzer. Not sure if he was correct, but I found a link to the story of the small skirmish he said was related to the area we found it in.
The Daily Dispatch: May 31, 1862., [Electronic resource], <a target="_blank" onclick="openPopupWindow(this); return false" href="entityvote?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0001&auth=scott,john&n=1&type=person">Scott</a>'s Louisiana Cavalry in <a target="_bl Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
C

coachwillie

Apr 7, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little more info... found this on my father in laws land and when i showed it to him and told him what it was he told me he found one just like it years ago while plowing the field! he also told me of other spots on his land that had interesting finds over the years! i cant help but be excited about the possibility of all the great stuff that is out there! my detector is a cheapo i bought several years ago to find sprinkler heads on the football field with but now im looking to upgrade! cant wait to hit it again!

willie

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are really serious about detecting as a hobbie you will quickly get over the thought of "how much is it worth" it is just plain fun. You'll see!!!!! :headbang:Nice find, hope you have many more. Get a Tesoro Cibola or Tejon for your first relic detector.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Cool find Coach! It is only worth about a buck fifty, so you might as well keep it and start a collection.

I read somewhere that when Hank Jr was young, he and Johnny Cash would get out and collect a lot of cannon balls, Keep up the good work and try to match their collection.

Best of luck,
Bill

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
Nice find. Probably worth $100 - $200. Check out these two sites www.relicman.com or www.civilwarartillery.com Also keep a good record of where you found the cannonball - establishes provenance. You can do that through this site www.maptech.com Click on Land Software....Click on online maps in upper right...click on MapServer...type in general location of find and you can arrow to specific location....your cursor will turn into crosshairs over the map and you can get specific Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates by looking the the boxes to the left. Should be more stuff there...try and keep things you find from a specific location together...much better historical picture than a bunch of relics in a box. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread