Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    coach

Apr 2012
    Alabama
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Found this yesterday

Just curious as to what this might be worth.

A local historian identified it as being a cannonball from a Mountain Howitzer. Not sure if he was correct, but I found a link to the story of the small skirmish he said was related to the area we found it in.
    The Daily Dispatch: May 31, 1862., [Electronic resource], <a target="_blank" onclick="openPopupWindow(this); return false" href="entityvote?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0001&aut h=scott,john&n=1&type=person">Scott</a>'s Louisiana Cavalry in <a target="_bl Any help would be appreciated.

us
    coach

Apr 2012
    Alabama
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
    a little more info... found this on my father in laws land and when i showed it to him and told him what it was he told me he found one just like it years ago while plowing the field! he also told me of other spots on his land that had interesting finds over the years! i cant help but be excited about the possibility of all the great stuff that is out there! my detector is a cheapo i bought several years ago to find sprinkler heads on the football field with but now im looking to upgrade! cant wait to hit it again!

willie

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    Tiger Shark 8" coil, Tejon 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones Whites TRX pointer Minelab Quattro, Garrett gold stinger
    210 times
    If you are really serious about detecting as a hobbie you will quickly get over the thought of "how much is it worth" it is just plain fun. You'll see!!!!! Nice find, hope you have many more. Get a Tesoro Cibola or Tejon for your first relic detector.
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    Jun 2012
    Coker, Alabama
    Garrett Ace 350
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice find, where is Alabama are you from?

us
    Jul 2010
    The heart of Aggieland
    Ace 250
    77 times
    Cool find Coach! It is only worth about a buck fifty, so you might as well keep it and start a collection.

I read somewhere that when Hank Jr was young, he and Johnny Cash would get out and collect a lot of cannon balls, Keep up the good work and try to match their collection.

Best of luck,
    Bill

us
    Sep 2008
    Greensburg, PA
    DFX
    78 times
    Nice Cannonball!
    Sign the petition to reinstate Hank to the Grand Old Opry:
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/reinstate-hank-williams.html

us
    Sep 2011
    9 times
    Nice find. Probably worth $100 - $200. Check out these two sites www.relicman.com or www.civilwarartillery.com Also keep a good record of where you found the cannonball - establishes provenance. You can do that through this site www.maptech.com Click on Land Software....Click on online maps in upper right...click on MapServer...type in general location of find and you can arrow to specific location....your cursor will turn into crosshairs over the map and you can get specific Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates by looking the the boxes to the left. Should be more stuff there...try and keep things you find from a specific location together...much better historical picture than a bunch of relics in a box. Good luck.

Apr 2012
    4 times
    what?very Terrible
    I heart which I could not help him

Sponsors