One Quart Glass Bottle Depression Era

oldmaninkansas

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found three clear glass bottles in excellent condition. The glass manufacturer "Ball" is stamped on the bottom and all three still have partial corks in them. "Federal Law Forbids Sale Or Re-Use Of This Bottle" is impressed on it as well as "ONE QUART". The bottom says:
D-23
73-8
"Ball" is in cursive

Please help with any value or date!

OP
OP
O

oldmaninkansas

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures of One Quart Glass Bottle Depression Era

Please see Attached pictures of the One Quart Glass Bottles that I found while cleaning our farm.

1. What is the history of the Ball company?

2. Is this circa 1923 (assumed based on the top line of the bottom of the bottle)?

3. Can anyone give me a value, even an estimated one for these?

4. Any input would be gladly appreciated. I am a first-timer here on Treasurenet as well.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 2,719
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 2,874
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 2,704
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 2,699
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 2,702
  • Photo6.jpg
    Photo6.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 2,687
  • Photo7.jpg
    Photo7.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Photo8.jpg
    Photo8.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 2,705
  • Photo9.jpg
    Photo9.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 2,699
  • Photo10.jpg
    Photo10.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 2,677
  • Photo11.jpg
    Photo11.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 2,694

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a whiskey. Value maybe one dollar.
Tried to sell some 100+ year old patent medicines including several bitters recently, very nice ones. Not one sale even at $1 ea.

kdawg

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does the bottle have say anything on it? does it have a seam going up the sides? if it does. is it all the way up the bottle or just before the top?

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
I buy alot of early Ball & Ball Perfect Mason glass. This is a new one on me! I'd say the #s on the bottom (if, and only if they made these bottles the same way as canning jars) were the mold number. On early canning jars, the numbers were "mold numbers" assigned to a particular worker. They could determine production pay based on the number of jars/bottles that worker turned out on their shift. Love to see what others decide on these!

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
Fistfullofdirt...send em to me. I can probably get you more than $1. Lol!! Kidding! Try some hodgepodge antique shops. Seen alot of bottles lately (like you described) selling upwards of $8 - $20. Recently saw a amber plantation bitter bottle sell for a few thousand at auction. Real nice and real rare bottle though.

jrs73287

Aug 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle

does the bottle have say anything on it? does it have a seam going up the sides? if it does. is it all the way up the bottle or just before the top?

If it has a seem all the way up the side what does that mean? I found one of these bottles in the river near my house and im wondering what it is worth?

kdawg

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the seam goes all the way up its machine made, which makes it 1920's or newer. If the seam doesnt go all the way it means the top was hand made. It would date around 1910 or earlier. As of value i deal with Chicago pop and beer bottles so i cant give u a price. Usally the more rare a bottle is the higher the value. Ball was a big company. But lawdog says he deals with ball and has never seen it. I would hold on to it untill you get more info. Do you have a bottle club by you? They could be very helpfull.

jrs73287

Aug 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know how much this is worth/would want to buy it?

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
Ball made alot of glass packaging for alot of other companies. I'm just not sure what you have. I'll try a little research myself with some other folks who collect. I agree with kdawg though. If you have bottle collecting club near you or even a glass show or something similar, you'd probably get a clear answer. You've got me stumped on this one though. I've never seen those bottled before, but that's not saying much. They could have made millions of them, but they were never used/distributed near my locale. I'll see what I can find out though.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Seam to top of lip: post-1910 (machine-made)
Seam to top of neck but not onto the lip: 1880-1910
Seam extend partially up neck: late 18th to mid 19th century
No seam: pre-1860
The Ball co. would have possibly made the bottle between 1930-1960.
That's a cool bottle, I have found dozens in the past, but I don't keep them as I had hundreds of different bottles as it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread