l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a minting error. Someone punched a piece out of the dime, flipped it and put it back in. I am not sure what kind of punch or cutter was used, but I have a cent somewhere with the same thing. Their is just no way this could accidentally happen during the minting process!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can be sure on this one. You just need a good understanding of the minting process. While no error coin expert I do have over 40 years in numismatics. There is just no way a small circle of the coin could pop out and turn over and back into the coin during the minting process. This is just one of the many alterations that are sometimes mistaken for mint errors.

OP
OP
V

Val_Lore

Jul 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your comments. This coin got me curious about coins so I am going to hold on to it as my 1st strange coin :)

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Total value: 6 months in prison and a court decided fine. This was just somebody defacing currency. It's interesting, but now not even worth 10 cents since a bank can no longer legally redistribute it.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Total value: 6 months in prison and a court decided fine. This was just somebody defacing currency. It's interesting, but now not even worth 10 cents since a bank can no longer legally redistribute it.

"Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States; or Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened - Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both." (18 USC Section 331)

If the intent is not fraudulent, and you just want to have fun with a dime, you can do so unpunished.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l Cutler is correct.....All you have to do is look at the coin! It's been punched and the plug flipped over.......Conversation piece...........HH

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, honestly we can all give our opinions on here, but until you contact the mint where it was produced, or send it off to have it graded, guess we will never know for sure.

Do not waste the time and money to have it graded. It is NOT a mint error. There is no possible way during the minting process that a coin can be struck like this. Jonesy I don't mean to sound condescending or to undermine your opinion but before giving an answer on something like this it's best to know 100% sure that what you are telling the original poster is a fact and not an opinion. Also contacting the mint will not give this guy an answer at all. So yes we will know for sure, that is not a mint error it is in fact a coin that has been tampered with post minting.

jonesy2012

Jul 25, 2012
No problem coin master. My opinion was as i stated it. Plenty of new mint errors are discovered each year. Thats why i said to have it checked out. maybe somebody did punch it through. Who knows. But I'm definitely not offended. Its an internet forum man. But you as well should be 100% certain of the information you give out. If you know so much about coins, you certainly must know that the only way to have a suspected mint error authenticated (if it's never been seen before) is to do so through the mint at which it was minted. That's a fact jack.

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try calling a mint and actually getting through to them. Anyway I am 100% positive because as stated before no part of the minting process would produce such an error. I'm a numismatist by profession and I didn't get into this business by not knowing stuff. That Jack is a fact :hello:

jonesy2012

Jul 25, 2012
Lol. I refuse to argue with you on an opinion internet forum. Private message me if you wish lol. Jack

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol. I refuse to argue with you on an opinion internet forum. Private message me if you wish lol. Jack
Who bit Jonesy2012 in the butt? Why is he posting dots? Pumping his post count, no doubt. (EDIT: Ok, he edited his posts to dots. Got it. But why is he so emmbarrased about what he posted? I'd like to know. TTC

Last edited:

jonesy2012

Jul 25, 2012
Terry I'm not embarrassed. But apparently if you post your opinion on here, and you're wrong you will get belittled lol. My feelings aren't hurt but apparently i posted an opinion that was wrong so i just deleted it. Hate to have any wrong information on here. Couldnt figure out how to delete the posts from my phone so i just reduced them to dots

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry I'm not embarrassed. But apparently if you post your opinion on here, and you're wrong you will get belittled lol. My feelings aren't hurt but apparently i posted an opinion that was wrong so i just deleted it. Hate to have any wrong information on here. Couldnt figure out how to delete the posts from my phone so i just reduced them to dots

Jonesy, believe me, I wish I could erase BIG mistakes I've made. Ha ha! I just swallow hard and move on. We all learn... even us 40 year plus hunters. I really don't care what you wrote before. What others say about me will not get me off THE NET. Been here since it was just Metal Detecting. Thanks for your reply. TTC

jonesy2012

Jul 25, 2012
Oh man im really not that torn up about it. I told the guy he should have the dime looked at by somebody since he is obviously a novice. I also said that it was a mint error which at first was my opinion but after research proved not true. No big deal man. Really none at all. Im on here because metal detecting and cache hunting interest the hell outta me. Im still hoping to get my first detector this month!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man im really not that torn up about it. I told the guy he should have the dime looked at by somebody since he is obviously a novice. I also said that it was a mint error which at first was my opinion but after research proved not true. No big deal man. Really none at all. Im on here because metal detecting and cache hunting interest the hell outta me. Im still hoping to get my first detector this month!
Ok, partner. Good deal! I hope the detector gets there. What are you looking at or planning on buying? I like Garretts and Fishers. I have had many over the last 40+ years. I even had 9 at the same time, till about a year ago. If you have read my posts, you will see what detectors I like and (I think) a pretty unbiased opinion. Let me know your plans. Please PM me.... and Welcome to the net! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread