9.5 KB · Views: 1,308

ABruce

Apr 11, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I need better picture to help identify the unit. It doesn't look Marine Corps from what I see, but I can't really tell. I have never seen such a cartoony AEF, like on this helmet. I think this may have been painted many years after the end of the First World War. None of these helmets was actually painted like this until after the war anyway. Did anyone ever see a picture of US troops fighting in the trenches with a helmet with a painted unit insignia? Please post a larger, brighter set of pictures. If it's real, and is USMC, it could be worth $500.+ or ++ or +++!

Last edited:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
This is what is known as a Brodie Helmet or M1917 helmet. They were invented in the UK in 1915. Adopted and produced by the US in 1918. By the end of World War 1, there were over 7.5 million of them produced. After the end of World War 1, a lot of these helmets became used as parade helmets. Even more so after they were replaced in service by the M1 Helmet in 1942. As a parade helmet, these were painted with a variety of different themes and images, usually based on where the owner served during the war. Which looks like the case with your helmet. The AEF stands for American Expeditionary Forces, which was Army. Not Marines. I have my great grandfather's M1917 helmet. He served in the Army during World War 1 in 1918-1919. The insignia on his helmet is a black pine tree with the numbers 91 in it. He was in the 91st division. Also called the Wild West division.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread