Need help identifying this bowl

Boopaj

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...

New member here with my first post. Great site!!!

My girlfriend and I picked this bowl up at an estate sale the other day and can't find anything matching it online. I've looked it over fairly carefully and can't find any makers marks on it. We believe it to be cut lead crystal. It has a beautiful ring to it when tapped. Its about 12 1/4 inches across, 3 1/4 inches tall. It weighs approximately 7 pounds. The rim is 5/16 inches thick. It looks to have either a Morning Glory or Trumpet Flower pressed pattern on the gold band. Its a beautiful bowl. Does anyone recognize our bowl and know who the maker might be?

Thanks in advance and thanks for the great sight...

image-2617156520.jpg

image-1315261987.jpg

image-776627964.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
B

Boopaj

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take a picture and post it when I get back home.... should be about 30 minutes...

Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
B

Boopaj

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple pictures of the bottom. Sorry they aren't the best quality...

image-2485700878.jpg

image-3377586588.jpg

suvoth

Aug 22, 2012
Fredericton
Primary Interest:
Other
it's a beautiful bowl, it reminded me of saint-louis glass. I'll try to do some research and will get back to you if I can find something.

OP
OP
B

Boopaj

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We both saw it and immediately wanted it. Thank you, I appreciate the help identifying it...

suvoth

Aug 22, 2012
Fredericton
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I haven't had much luck to be honest. I am leaning towards Cambridge Glass or Fostoria because of the type of gold etching but I haven't been able to find anything on the pattern. I hope someone else here can help you out! I personally don't do much with glass as I prefer pottery/ceramics. Best of luck! It's still a beautiful find.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Are any edges of the bowl sharp and crisp,if so it could be cut glass.If not its most likely pressed glass.

OP
OP
B

Boopaj

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the edges on the diamond pattern are nice and sharp and defined. The edges on the rim have been accurately beveled. There are no seams in the bowl that I can find. I don't believe it to be incredibly old due to a lack of wear on the glass and in the gold gilding, maybe from the 50s or 60s. I'm still having no luck in identifying who made it though. I have searched the Internet for a match, taken it to a few 'experts' in glassware and nothing. I even sent pictures to Replacements Ltd, and their research department couldn't identify it either. So the search continues...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Livingston's auctions had one. They describe it as a crystal fruit bowl with gold band. I found it on google. I can't scan, sorry. I typed in crystal bowl with gold band and the pic came up on the page. They value it at $100-$200. I'll keep looking for the maker. It seems to be high quality crystal and very beautiful. Was this the sale you went to? I think this was last January. Bowls like this were made for stores like Nieman Marcus, Tiffany and so on. Very upscale. You payed less than $200, you got a good buy. Take care of it.

OP
OP
B

Boopaj

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Austin. Actually I payed $40 for it at an estate sale. I knew it was a quality piece when I saw it and really liked it. It was one of those things you see at a sale and say 'I have to buy that!'.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a great deal. I recommend that you keep both the bowl and your girlfriend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread