Gold 1821-1921 50 Peso (a.k.a. Centenarios)

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Sun Ray DX-1 Probe, Vintage late 70's Radio Shack junker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the opportunity to buy a 1921 Gold 50 Peso in excellent condition. The guy got it out of a box he bought at an estate sale, the box included Tiffany & Co. wine glasses & A ring & necklace in 14K rose gold also from Tiffany & Co. & $400 in Republic of Texas paper money/notes/bills among other things. He sold the Tiffany & Co stuff + the Texas currency (which was real) to a dealer that he deals with. When he got home from selling the items he realized there was a coin in a wadded up piece of newspaper in the bottom of the box. A near uncirculated gold 1921 50 Peso. I have done my research on the coin but I want to know if anybody has or knows a good way to spot if it's a fake or copy other than an acid test. He claims his buddy did an acid test on it & it pretty much tested at 22K.

I don't want to have him take it to a coin dealer because he might raise his price after what the dealer would possibly offer him for it, but instead maybe I could have him take it to a scrap gold buyer & let them test it & listen to their low ball scrap offer first which BTW would be about what he is offering it to me for (well even a little less!)

And what is a great price to pay for an ungraded gold 1921 50 Peso? I'm guessing anything under the ounce spot price is a good dea?l And if it's real it is 90% gold with 37.5 grams of 24K gold with 10% copper = 41.2(ish) grams total weight thus making it a hair under 22K.

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions