old NYC skeleton key...whats it worth?

zulu59

Dec 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old NYC skeleton key...what's it worth?

hi folks!:hello: this is my first post! i stumbled upon you guys when trying to date an old skeleton key i found in a construction site in NYC. i can't seem to find too much info on old keys and was wondering if you might be able to date it and tell me how much it may be worth. any help is appreciated! thanks

-Chrissy

skelteon key: http://i.imgur.com/Ld9la.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zulu59

Dec 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old keys are fairly common, and are not really worth much.

yeah, i figured as much. i'm more interested in the date! i have a fascination with everything old. any idea how old it might be?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by the design - I'd say around 1900 to the teens/20s - most of the older ones tend to be larger/longer & more elaborate/ornate -- value -- you can buy them for $2 to $3 in any antique shop

always fun to find though!

HH

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually...these keys with Railroad inscriptions can be worth a bit. I sold one with the name of a railroad on the cylindrical part for over $200 on ebay several years ago.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chrissy, it's a cabinet or hutch key from the the mid to late 1800's not much value but fun to find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread