Sterling Silver Class Ring

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel a little silly asking this question. Over the years I've found my share of rings but never a high school class ring. So this afternoon I dig up a men's sterling silver class ring from 1978. It was about 4" down in a church yard. I think it's interesting that the ring is from Magruder High in Rockville, MA and I found it in Wildwood, TX. I've notified the minister at the church so he can ask his congregation if one of them lost it. I've also sent an email to the school asking if they can assist me in matching the initials engraved on the inner surface of the ring to a name from that graduating class. My question is this, if I don't find the owner how do I sell it and what is it worth? This isn't like a generic wedding band or the like, it's very specific to one school and one owner. I'm guessing it will be worth nothing more than its scrap price but I want to be sure before I let it go for less than it might bring. Any advice appreciated.

Storm

Attachments

• Class Ring.jpg
    Class Ring.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,253

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A class ring generally has only scrap or sentimental value since it is designed and marked for it's initial owner. To get top dollar for selling scrap, I've found that refiners or coin shops have the best value. Expect to get 80-95% value on silver scrap, or 90-98% on gold. If it's a generic ring and not a school ring, you might be able to sell it for more than scrap if it is great condtition.

Wayne

OP
OP
Stormrider51

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the assistance of a teacher at Magruder High in Rockville, MD, I was able to locate the owner and returned the ring to him this afternoon.

Storm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread