Sterling Silverware?

VanitysBaby

Oct 14, 2008
Bangor, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC07163.JPG

dug these from a dump that was used from mid 1800's to early 1900's.

none of these are at all attracted to a magnet. could anyone conceivably throw this much real silver away?

Floral fork is "Wm. Rogers and Son" name followed by an eagle, which identifies a piece made by William Hazen and William Henry between about 1856 and 1861"

One is Hall and Elton and says H & E co 3 1/2 on back it is also from mid 1800's, and has "H S Kelsey" engraved on handle.

One says Sterling Silver Co on back and has "Bangor Exchange" engraved on handle.

The smallest spoon look as if it says Niagara Falls Co but I'm not positive...

The bent fork says something Bros A1.

The 2nd smallest spoon says Royal Plate.

OP
OP
VanitysBaby

VanitysBaby

Oct 14, 2008
Bangor, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was going to sell them all for ten dollars for the lot. just wondering if that's a mistake.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most rogers and sons flatware is not sterling may be silver plated

OP
OP
VanitysBaby

VanitysBaby

Oct 14, 2008
Bangor, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you.

i figured maybe the piece marked sterling silver co was sterling but the magnet test has me wondering what the heck. it's a strong magnet and nothing. i dug them in a dump used from mid 1800's to very early 1900's so i thought plate would have worn through to a magnetic undermetal...

OP
OP
VanitysBaby

VanitysBaby

Oct 14, 2008
Bangor, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I guess magnet testing is not reliable. It's fun trying to make them shiny but soooo difficult. I can see the AA behind the Rogers mark now. I'll play around sparkling them up a bit and relist them for ten.

The winter months in Maine are only good for looking through what I dug up when the ground wasn't froze. I listed a bottle the other day and said I'd never seen another one like it then realized I had another like it in a "to sort" bin lol. Some TAK flavoring extract... Can't wait to get back out there.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some plated silver that is on copper so magnets dont work. The only way I found out was taking a file to it. If you are just selling it for scrap it shouldn't hurt it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread