1921 Morgan silver dollar

killjoy1137

Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an uncirculated 1921 Morgan silver dollar with S mint mark. Cointrackers tells me its worth up to $1400 in best condition. Is that true or is that website full of it? If so what is it actually worth? Thanks.
DSCF0221_zps37800f97.jpg
DSCF0223_zpse9dc7e7b.jpg

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well technically they are correct. A 1921 S graded by PCGS or NGC at MS70 could go for that and probably higher, even one graded at 68 may go that high. Problem is, those grades are almost unattainable.

Now your coin looks very clean, and even though I don't see the S mintmark on the reverse I will assume it is there. I won't try to grade it or tell you if I suspect it is genuine or not, that would have to be for a dealer who has it in hand.

Bottom line is yes, $1400 is possible. Remote, but possible.

OP
OP
K

killjoy1137

Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the bad pictures, as you can tell I dont have very good lighting. I suppose the next step would be for me to find someone to grade it and all that.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to attempt to put an actual grade on the coin without holding it in hand but from the pictures it doesn't look to be "uncirculated" as the eagles breast feathers look somewhat worn as do the hairlines/curls above/around lady liberties ear which are 2 major factors in placing any grade of any sort on a Morgan dollar (among other things).

Looks like a circulated coin to me which is more like a $35/$40 coin at best (I could be wrong) as I can't see it the same as if it were in hand

but

I can say with 100% certainty that it's nowhere near a $1400 coin - the pictures show that much.

Also - PCGS (the worlds most recognized and trusted grading company) doesn't list any 1921 s Morgans at $1400

they list an MS65 at $950 and an MS66 at $9500 but your coin isn't anywhere near either of those grades

You have to deduct 25% on PCGS prices to get more of a realistic price also -- their prices are full blown retail based on pricing across the country as an avg. but no one ever pays full blown retail -- at auction a $950 retail priced coin would sell more in the $650/$700 range at best (especially common date/mint coins like 1921 morgans) --- extremely rare coins are a whole different story though - full blown retail may just be the start on coins like those...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread