1944 wheat penny

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
I found this 1944 wheat penny that sticks to a magnet. Weird that's it's magnetic. Anyone know why this does this.

image-2498092020.jpg

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have too be-careful with 1944 pennies: A STEEL 1944 wheat penny Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $77234, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $110334. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified.

A copper 1944 wheat penny goes for 10 cents!

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
First , not to make this a big point be they are not PENNY'S but CENT'S . I have been scolded by someone here before . So now I'm confused because I've heard of 1944 steels (very few) but he says this one sticks so it must be steel . So did Uncle Sam copper plate the steel 44's ? And why not the 43 steel cents ? I know we need copper for our war effort but why worry over a few mills on them ? I can see shinny spots so it's either from plating peeling or maybe someone tried to plate it as a counterfeit ... best case it's genuine and who does one see tp prove it is . If done in someone's basement (simple) then buried for say 10 to 15 years for Patina who could tell the difference ?
And if the 44's are plated then this is the best dug find needs to be a BANNER !
From what your saying those prices are auction and one in sad shape sold for $77,234 .00 and another in perfect sold for $110,334. 00 . So this cent should fetch 85 to 90 grand .... Happy Trails , Woodstock

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
I'm not a expert but like I was saying that faking a 44 shouldn't be hard and seeing that they have such rarity and fetch big bucks it very possible counterfeiters saw the easy cash . I'm not saying this one is , but passing off a few of these to unsuspecting collectors at coin shows wouldn't be hard . I've seen this done with silver , shave off what you need , silver solder , and buff . A real collector can stop them , but a novice ... never . IMHO , Woodstock

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were just a few of the 1944 Steel Pennies ever minted and all would have been released by error into the coin supply. I do not know how many were released by error and have never seen one before! If I was too find a 1944 Steel Penny i would have it sent off to get certified A.S.A.P. and see what the real experts of the coin world would say.

sharons7

May 30, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few cents dated anywhere from 1917 to 1960, and a few Indian nickel heads dated 1889 and 1906. I read your post and would like to know if you can give me any suggestions on where I can take these cents and nickels to get them appraised. I would not feel comfortable sending anything to anyone cause I may not get it back....Any suggestions on how to go about getting my stuff appraised in person>>??

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Certification Overview | NGC Coin Grading Certification The NGC which is one of the biggest coin grading companies!

Too get them appraised you would have too either go to a coin dealer or find a certified appraiser in your area. There is big difference in just getting a coin certified and then appraised. NGC does not appraise just certify a coin.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
Can anyone here answer me my question about if Uncle Sam had the 44 copper plated ??? I doubt it cause it's easier to remove the steel cents because they were a small amount rather than send just a few out of plating ... does anyone know ? Thanks , Woodstock

OP
OP
M

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
Holy crap I had no idea it would be anywhere close to those prices. I can't find it now laid it on the counter with others wife is like a clean freak this is just great. Is mine a counterfeit or something. I found it at an old park bout 6 in deep

OP
OP
M

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
I doubt it's fake or why would it be in the ground. I found out by accident it was magnetic. Had a pocket screwdriver in the lil storage thing in truck I always put what I find it it then few days later or sometimes weeks I take coins I found in with others. I was gonna use screwdriver let some air out of my rzr tire where my lil boy put too much in when it was low. And when I grabbed it I noticed the penny hung to it a lil when I got it out

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you don't have anything too worry about. The steel 1944 is a 1944 D penny.

1944-D 1C –Struck on a Zinc-Coated Steel Planchet–MS63 NGC:

ESTIMATE: $75,000 – $100,000

OP
OP
M

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
There's not any peeling on it. I took that pic with the dirt still on it. I never cleaned it off at all. I just brushed with finger and scratched at the date so I could see it better

ItchyE

Jun 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general, if it is not a die error coin or planchet(blank) error, any old copper penny or steel penny, of course, is worth little in funky condition and worth about $1000 if it's in Mint state 67 or 68 - a near perfect coin. This especially applies to Lincoln pennies from the teens, twenties and even into the 30s. The mintage may be so high that it is not a "rare" penny but if it is perfect it's worth $1000 or more.

Last edited:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
Before I make anymore statements to add I have to say since I see we have many "armchair" experts the very first thing that hasn't been addressed is a very simple question that knowone seems to want to answer .
That is the the simple fact that these 1944 D cents went through as a "mistake" and if it was found it would be a "steel cent" and not copper like yours . And if the US Mint caught them before they went into circulation I highly doubt they'd take them and have them plated in copper , it's not cost effective in anyway to do that . That's why I've been asking for verification like a photo(s) of the $70 to $100,000 cent that was sold in auction . Next topic is the mint mark D . I will look at you coin again but I see NO mint mark and if it's there it must be very weak indeed . And I don't know if it's wishful thinking on your part but your original post says 1944 , not a 1944 D . It wasn't until that point was made that that this now is a 44 D . Even under 250X magnification I see no trace of a D on this example .
And last but not least is for ItchyE ... ONLY with super rare cents in 67/68 condition would they be worth a $1000 or more actually much less if they went to auction . From many years of coin collecting I base my answers . Take a older more rare example with the Flying Eagle cent , the 1856 is the King of the Flying Eagles with all the others minted being worth 10% of the value of the 1856 because of the low mintage . That being said , I have yet to see any high mintage cent from the teens to the thirties selling for a grand or more even in 67/68 condition so please post links to backup all these high mintage 1000 buck or more cents because I have a few I need to sell ... post your information so we (or I) can verify the source and if information is correct I apologize but also remember this isn't a cent in "mint" condition . IMHO , Woodstock
I found this out about the ULTRA RARE 1944D Steel cent so read it please read the "appearance" of it or how it looks .

1944-D Steel Cent MS 62 NGC. A rare off-metal striking of a cent struck from a leftover planchet from 1943. The significance of this piece is more obvious after the sale of the 1943-D copper cent for $82,500 at a recent Superior sale. Magnetic, of course, the surfaces of this coin retain much original mint luster but have also taken on a spotty brown and gray overtone with several specks of carbon scattered about. One of the most sought after error coins in U.S. numismatics. (PCGS# 9450)

Last edited:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
Then please explain the numerous dug counterfeit coins for me .. and everyone else . It could have been someone who heard of it's rarity and thought they'd make a quick buck selling them if they were plated not knowing that a steel cent would remain a steel cent when it went through . Otherwise how could the others that were found be identified ? When the word was out about the mint mishap thousands of people in 1944 and later would have bought roles of new mint cents at that very moment and for many years after ...I'm just being logical . Lot's of fakes and counterfeits are out there that were dug and lots have been faked recently and were sold in auctions , mostly for China from what I researched . But just because it was dug doesn't mean zip . IMHO , Woodstock
I doubt it's fake or why would it be in the ground. I found out by accident it was magnetic. Had a pocket screwdriver in the lil storage thing in truck I always put what I find it it then few days later or sometimes weeks I take coins I found in with others. I was gonna use screwdriver let some air out of my rzr tire where my lil boy put too much in when it was low. And when I grabbed it I noticed the penny hung to it a lil when I got it out

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I make anymore statements to add I have to say since I see we have many "armchair" experts the very first thing that hasn't been addressed is a very simple question that knowone seems to want to answer .
[/B]

Woodstock if that comment is directed too me which i am sure it is! you keep asking for answers and I do not know. I just only stated you have to be-careful with 1944 pennies. I am in no mind a expert in Pennies... Thanks for the comments. Good luck!

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
Well I'm no expert on 1944 D or any of the steelseries cents . But I though someone or anyone could clarify what they look like . Instead I had to find out for myself and here for everyone are some pictures and a description .

1944 Steel Wheat Penny

This penny is rare for the exact opposite reason the 1943 copper penny is rare. By 1944 the mint has resumed producing pennies using copper instead of steel. However, a few pennies were mistakenly minted using steel and are now considered extremely valuable. A 1944 steel wheat penny can be worth as much as $100 thousand. Interesting note, pennies with wheat on one side are known as wheat pennies. It has nothing to do with the color of the penny.

So as you can see a Steel 1944 D Cent looks like the other steels with the exception that it only shows traces of any copper and is not colored anything like this one in the members post . However , the most valuable of the mint errors is the copper 1943 so I'll tose that into this post as well .

Here's the 1943 ...

This penny was mistakenly produced using copper when all other pennies that year were made with zinc coated steel. Like every other organization during World War II, the US mint had to make changes to their normal practices to support the war effort. This included using steel for the 1943 penny because copper was in great shortage and needed for bullet and artillery shell casings. Most people who come across the silver colored pennies think they’ve found a great rarity but unfortunately that’s not the case. A mint condition 1943 penny is worth about $.50. However, the mint did mistakenly produce a few copper 1943 pennies which are much more highly valued. A 1943 copper penny sold for $1.7 million at auction in 2010.

download.jpg 1944-D_Steel_Cent_heritage_auctions.jpg 1943-Copper-Wheat-Penny.png DSC_0049.jpg 1944-D_steel_cent_thumb.jpg

So I hope now this clears up the difference . And if your still in doubt the have a real expert evaluate the cent . From what I have read and now seen if yours if the real deal then it's the only one that has a completely copper plating and that was never done and possibly never seen before .
And hey if it is then post what the experts say ...................................Happy Trails and Good Luck ! Woodstock

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, since you found the coin 6 inches deep in an old Park, it is quite possibly genuine! However, there is always the possibility that it is a fake, not counterfeit, a fake! In that I mean, that someone cut down a 1944 Copper Cent to fit inside the rim of a milled out 1943 Steel Cent (like a Magician's coin but without being Heads-Heads or Tail-Tails), then Zinc coated the coin, especially the Obverse or front to look like an authentic 1944 Steel Cent. If it is a genuine Steel Cent, then it should stick solid to a regular magnet. Also, if there is peeling of the Zinc on the Obverse, check to see if any Copper is showing through. If so, then it is probably a magician's coin and once cleaned, one might be able to see the seam just inside of the Obverse rim where the cut down 1943 Copper Cent fits into. I would recommend soaking the coin in Mineral Oil for a few days, then lightly rub it between your' fingers while rinsing under hot water. After that, pat it dry (do not rub) and take close-up pics of the Obverse (front) and Reverse (back) and post them here. If it is determined that it is highly likely that the coin is a genuine 1944 (no mint mark for Philadelphia or a "D" mint mark for Denver) Steel Cent, then contact Coin Dealers in your area until you find a Dealer that is a member of PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Service) and contract with the Coin Dealer to send the coin to PCGS for authentication and if genuine to have it certified, graded and holdered in a PCGS Holder. Make sure to take lots of pictures of the coin for evidence in any claim of loss or stolen, get a signed receipt from the Coin Dealer where he took possession of the coin and what it is and make sure that he or she sends the coin to PCGS via Priority/Registered Mail with enough Insurance to cover the estimated value of the coin. The Coin Dealer can keep tabs on the process of authentication, certification and grading and if the analysis is that it is genuine, he can have PCGS send the coin to a large Coin Auction House such as Heritage Auctions or Stacks Bowers, then you just wait for it to sell and you get your cut. There will be fees to pay the Coin Auction Company plus the fee that must be paid to the Coin Dealer in which you can include in the contract before hand that any and all fees for sending the coin the PCGS and any fees paid to them for their' services and sending the coin to the Coin Auction House, is to be paid by the Coin Dealer. However, the Coin Dealer might want any fees for sending the coin to PCGS and their' services rendered, upfront. If this is the case, then once you receive your' cut from the Coin Auction House, you will only have to pay him or her the agreed upon fee that is due them!

Added: Of course if you don't trust or don't want to deal with and pay a Coin Dealer to send the coin to PCGS, then you can subscribe to PCGS as a member and send the coin to them yourself.

I hope that the coin is authentic and you get one heck of a windfall! In the meantime, please try to get us some pics as soon as the coin has been cleaned up by the method I stated above.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions