inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks! But I don't have that book... I sure wish I did & no $65K is not some unbelievably stupid high price for books like that. The original Hobbit, Velveteen Rabbit, Moby Dick & the list goes on to books that are worth well over $10K up to $20K or who knows where depending on condition. I'm sure many 1914 ish paintings have sold for way more than $65K.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
inspectorgadget:

My prediction is that book will not sell at that price. Is it worth it? Someone would argue "Yes - if someone is willing to pay that much." A somewhat more conservative approach is "Yes - If there are at least two people on the planet willing to pay that much and who have the money." Because whomever buys it - at some point probably wants to be able to sell it.

A number of years ago I attended a major antiquarian book fair (ok, sale) in San Francisco. I happened to hear a lady speaking with a dealer about her late husband's extraordinary collection Henry Miller first editions. The dealer had sold him several choice items in his collection.

Literary tastes change, things had moved on, and the books could have been sold only after a very significant haircut from what her husband had paid.

Some authors - from William Shakespeare to Mark Twain to A. Conan Doyle to Herman Melville (who struggled to sell any books while he was still alive; Moby Dick really wasn't "discovered" until the 1930s) will probably stand the test of time.

Others...not so much.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
inspectorgadget:

My prediction is that book will not sell at that price. Is it worth it? Someone would argue "Yes - if someone is willing to pay that much." A somewhat more conservative approach is "Yes - If there are at least two people on the planet willing to pay that much and who have the money." Because whomever buys it - at some point probably wants to be able to sell it.

~The Old Bookaroo

That is not a running auction it is a completed auction. I was looking at books that recently sold on ebay & chose to search by highest price first.. it did sell for $65,000.. I was only searching sold listings.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Does anyone else find it at least mildly amusing that an eBay Seller offering a $65,000 book is charging $4 for "shipping?"

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone else find it at least mildly amusing that an eBay Seller offering a $65,000 book is charging $4 for "shipping?"

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Was wondering if anyone else noticed that!!! Ya that just might be the best part of that ad.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

I would also find it strange if the person who paid $65,000 , would wait on the Post man.
UPS , usps, FedX or whatever, For that price The book better be in my Hand
& personally inspected before the
money Transfer took place.

& yes the seller would feel the same way.
Would you trust Paypal ?

But then I would never pay that much for any book.
No matter what,
once you read it, You know how it ends every time.

WARNING BOOK SPOILER
When Tarzan Wrestles the Crock/Gator under water Tarzan wins

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
HWJJr.:

Yes, the dj is important. In the last several years I've seen people make a much bigger deal about it being "unclipped" (ie, the price tag has not been removed from the inside upper left-hand corner). Personally, that is taking things to the extreme.

Look at the prices of The Maltese Falcon or The Dain Curse with and without a dj!

I recently purchased a copy of Uncle Jimmy McKenna's classic Black Range Tales (an essential item for Lost Adams hunters). While I already have several copies of the first (including the signed, numbered limited edition - in terrible condition) I purchase this one because it had a nice dj.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Book collectors are very finicky, especially at those prices. A quick
look at the sellers feedback comments and items sold shows that this
is an experienced bookseller with a 100% rating, and they have done
their due-diligence by researching the book to confirm it's actual status.
They also represented the book well in the description, as each and
every flaw was mentioned.

I've invested quite a bit in my collection of Robert Service's works,
but could never imagine paying that for any volume, no matter who
wrote it.

Being a successful bookseller means knowing what you're buying, and
then how to properly sell it once acquired. Many years back I purchased
a boxed, complete 3-volume first edition (2nd printing) set of LOTR at a
g-sale for $20, and sold it a week later on eBay for over $2k. Just do a
search for Lord of the Rings in the books category to see what some
special sets are listed it...and yes, they regularly sell at those prices.

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same seller is selling this book again, guess the buyer didnt pay.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same seller is selling this book again, guess the buyer didnt pay.
I've seen high dollar items do that a few times before and wonder if the seller isn't just laying out a bogus sales history by having an accomplice enter a bid at that very high price. I remember watching comic books on ebay go into the tens of thousands and only find them to be relisted again and again after they closed in a sale. What's up with that?

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be the seller, but also someone else that owns the same item that wants to have a completed sale that looks like it went for a lot. If you check sold items to price things make sure it wasn't relisted and check a bunch to get a better idea.

The problem is eBay is soft on buyers who bid on items and don't pay. You should be able to filter out buyers who've ever had it happen, but can only filter those who've had 2 in 60 days or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread