tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not finding any record of sales or available to buy Annie Oakley shot coins. If Annie Oakley did shoot that coin I'm sure it be worth some real money. I do shop many antique shops and once maybe 12-13? years ago at a antique shop in Pagosa Springs, Colorado that specialized in western collectibles, they had for sale an ace playing card with a bullet hole in the center and it was said to be a card shot by Annie Oakley and had her autograph on it. They did have some kind of paper work with it also and a price if I remember of $2400. If you can, your going to need to add more info to get a value, like, how did you get it? What do you know about all who owed it down the line? Will you be able to connected it to the very person who received the coin just after Annie Oakley shot it?. Maybe a coin that is for sure one shot by Annie Oakley has that very same stamped lettering as your?...The coin I think by itself would have a very nice value as it is without any proven facts based just on the possibility alone it was a coin shot in the center by Annie Oakley.

OP
OP
J

josh100

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi there thanks for your reply just been going through the rest of my granddads stuff haven't found any circus related items spoke to my father and he just said his dad worked for a circus that toured around europe during the early part of the 19th century his job was packing stuff in boxes and transporting. its shame i was really hoping to find some sort of connection. wow all that money for a shot playing card what i don't understand is couldn't anyone just put a whole in a playing card and say ye annie oakley shot this i know its not as simple as that but just seems a hell of a lot of money thanks once again not sure what to do with it now others have said not to clean the coins

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi there thanks for your reply just been going through the rest of my granddads stuff haven't found any circus related items spoke to my father and he just said his dad worked for a circus that toured around europe during the early part of the 19th century his job was packing stuff in boxes and transporting. its shame i was really hoping to find some sort of connection. wow all that money for a shot playing card what i don't understand is couldn't anyone just put a whole in a playing card and say ye annie oakley shot this i know its not as simple as that but just seems a hell of a lot of money thanks once again not sure what to do with it now others have said not to clean the coins
I thought the same on the high price of that card, but maybe her autograph on it was that valuable? I will say the few faked items I've seen are in the way of the old west collectibles outside all the fake Rolex watches, one such as an Apache rifles all done up with brass buttons and cut down. I had in my hand one that had a value of $2500. and it was just so easy to spot as a fake as I pointed out to the seller the pot metal cast trigger it had, but he was sure of his claim, boy did he get took, but I think he was trolling for suckers. and they're enough buyers with the money on hand who don't know what their looking at to pull a fast one on as they can easily get caught up in the lure of the old west and owning an artifact from those times would sure give them something to brag about. Here is how I'd say the connection of your coin could have ended up in your hands. Buffalo Bills show did go to Europe, I'm not sure when, but they did go over there in the late 19th early 20th century?... If your granddad some how came by that show as he worked in Europe he very well may have received the coin then. I would think his trade of a circus roustabout may have been one following any type circus or traveling show as that would be how he made a living. I will say that coin sure looks like it could be the real deal and your story sure sounds good to me so far. Maybe post your story in the "what is its" also? They love to hunt info on items like yours. I would mention the name of your granddad also so it could possibly be proven he was in Europe at the time the Wild West show was over in Europe. Its not at all hard to find names of passengers listed on ships going to and from Europe in those times. For all you know maybe the name of your granddad will be found traveling to Europe with Buffalos Bills show, but I don't know if Annie Oakley went along on that trip? ... Oh yeah it would be very dumb to clean that coin. The patina may help to prove things. Good luck finding a value and the truth of it! I find you have a very interesting item.

OP
OP
J

josh100

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats great and thanks for the ideas im going to look into it i love a challenge its just hard when you have no idea where to start i can see lots of googling coming my way thanks again for everyones help so far all the best

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Well, it is a 1899 British Queen Victoria Penny. And Annie Oakley did stamp and shoot some of those as well as American pennies to sell as souvenirs. But yours does raise some red flags.

Mostly, I am concerned about your penny because of the stamping.
Compared to other examples of souvenir Annie Oakley coins, the orientation of the stamping does not match. Normally, the A. Oakley would be arranged similar to this:
1_894ff91cdf2ffd763a04c0aa2944a948.jpg

13361582_1.jpg

You can also see that the font of the stamps used on your coin do not match the font that was normally used for souvenirs from her show. Huge red flag.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is a 1899 British Queen Victoria Penny. And Annie Oakley did stamp and shoot some of those as well as American pennies to sell as souvenirs. But yours does raise some red flags.

Mostly, I am concerned about your penny because of the stamping.
Compared to other examples of souvenir Annie Oakley coins, the orientation of the stamping does not match. Normally, the A. Oakley would be arranged similar to this:
1_894ff91cdf2ffd763a04c0aa2944a948.jpg

13361582_1.jpg

You can also see that the font of the stamps used on your coin do not match the font that was normally used for souvenirs from her show. Huge red flag.
Indeed the stamping I would think is a major clue to authenticity. Items like a coin shot and stamped wouldn't be all that hard to duplicate. I'm a little uneasy of that green patina on this coin in question as that type of enhancement can be duplicated and is very often done to items of copper, brass & bronze to give it the look of age and then be past off as a rare find. Do It Yourself Patina Formulas It'll be a tough mission to prove that this artifact is a genuine Annie Oakley artifact. I do hope it pans out for this fellow, but won't be surprised if it doesn't. Good Point, allen_Id

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread