alfredo sciarrotta leaf bowl

khanos

Sep 14, 2012
I picked this up at a garage sale. I know its worth something but not positive on price. I can't tell if this is brass or silver. It looks brass but when I turn it over I can see that mabe it was silver. I don't know. Can someone help? Pics below

ForumRunner_20140130_232834.png

ForumRunner_20140130_232910.png

ForumRunner_20140130_232951.png

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your welcome. In this piece you also have some interesting history:
Most of Sciarrotta's work was in [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]sterling [FONT=inherit !important]silver[/FONT][/FONT], but he did make a limited line of copper and brass wares early in his career. The [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]designer's[/FONT][/FONT] work is instantly recognizable from the quality of workmanship, the heaviness of the material. The copper pieces have more realistic appearance than the works in silver, with more detail.[/FONT]
Sciarrotta was smuggled out of Italy into the US during World War II to work
on submarine technology. Afterwards he settled in Newport, RI and created a
small line of hand-made sterling silver hollowware. These were retailed in his
own shop and eventually by a few select stores including Shreve Crump & Low,
Gorham, [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Bailey
[/FONT] Banks & Biddle, and [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Cartier[/FONT][/FONT]. This copper example has the
earlier and less common hallmark that Sciarrotta used only at his own studio.
Sciarrotta's [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]designs[/FONT][/FONT] are in several museum collections including the
Smithsonian.
Don.....
Suorce: http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/5kg8t-large-copper-pitcher-signed-alfredo-sciarrotta.html[/FONT]

OP
OP
K

khanos

Sep 14, 2012
Wow! Great information! I lucked up because I only paid 5 bucks for it!

Keegansmama

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great information! I lucked up because I only paid 5 bucks for it!

Talk about a bargain! Alfredo was a dear friend of my mother in Newport and she traveled with him to antique shows all over New England. He did a lot of his early pieces in copper and brass. I have several of his pieces and can't wait to tell her what you paid for this.
I only signed up so I could comment on this. :)

I hope you've googled him. He was a lovely man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread