Found old spearpoints?

pennypete

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
Northeast Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Moving some dirt with our tractor several weeks ago. While standing by the woodpile, looked down and noticed the smaller of the tips. Within 24 hrs with some minimal moving of the spread out dirt piles we found all the things in the container. I'm just a regular person that has never found anything like this before. How would we go about finding out something about them. Could they be worth anything? How would we get them authenticated? Should I contact our local Historical Society? Any info would be appreciated.
Penny 001.JPG 001.JPG 001.JPG

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take that picture. And another pic of the long whole middle peice by its self. Use natural light an the macro setting for best results. Then post them in the North American Indian section of treasurenet. Make sure you include the state/location in your post. You will get some expert results. Nice artifacts!

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However a Moderator could move it over to North American Indian Artifacts for you. And you could post a better pick of the one in the middle and location found. Any moderators out there?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, Go show the experts down in NAIA, That long ones a beauty and worth way more then the other common finds IMO. Nice collection.:thumbsup:

If what you say on how you found them it would be very nice of you to at least contact your local historic society and they may not even show any concern. If your excavating for any development you could be shut down until the site is evaluated and longer if they want to excavate the site and maybe even for ever. I saw that go down on a pipeline job once, all due to chatter. It left a contractor with men and machines to pay for SOL and no recourse to recover what was already spent outside of waiting on archaeologist who take their sweet time on these kind of deals.

Last edited:

seekeroforo

Jan 21, 2010
Over the rainbow
Detector(s) used
Logic, prayer, hope, and instinct
Penny,

Did you find these in your area? Wisconsin? If so, you have found something very interesting in the longer one keyed in on by others. It has striking similarity to what is known as a Clovis point. The Clovis people were presumably bound to specific geographical areas and I don't believe your area is known to be one of their regions. You may have found an item of profound interest. I'm not trying to jump at a conclusion, but like I said, it has an astounding resemblance to the Clovis style.

OP
OP
P

pennypete

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
Northeast Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they were found in Wisconsin. I did contact the University of Lacrosse about the finds and received an email saying they were "very old" of the Paleo Indians, although she didn't seem particularly interested. At least I feel like I notified the correct people. I'm going to keep looking to hopefully find more. I did find one other since I posted the initial picture. I did post a picture on the American Indian forum. Everyone seems to think the end is broke, but I don't know it looks ok to me, not that I've ever seen even an arrowhead before.... Thank you for the information.
Penny

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi pennyk,have you found any more?

OP
OP
P

pennypete

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
Northeast Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Yes, I found 17 in all. But none are whole. They are all center pieces of points. Everything is snow covered for now, so in the spring I'll keep looking. But I have a feeling that all mine are in pieces. I have had such a fun time though looking for them, that I think I'm hooked no matter what I find!!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
save them all,can find the other half some day.i would like for you to find a killer piece,im sure its there.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes!! Those are nice!! Even if they aren't whole ones, keep them!
I bet you eventually find complete points, and/or the other broken parts, You never know.
I will sometimes glue my fossils if they are broken and I have 2 broken pieces of arrow heads that I would also glue if I was to find the other part. 001.JPG
Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catherine1 has the right idea but I'm not thinking Clovis in as much as Plainview perhaps.
If it is Clovis it is un-fluted. [Does not fit the common description of Clovis]

The material of the "Golden" artifacts is called Salicified Sandstone. (Very Hard)
It was highly sought after by the indigenous peoples there during the Paleo -Archaic periods and beyond.
May I suggest you post it on another web site that specializes in identification of artifacts.
Arrowheadology is a good place to start.....

Arrowheadology.com | Arrowheads and Indian Artifacts - Home

Jess B.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, looks like you need to build a sifter and dig that area to death! Gotta be a cache of some sort there. Quite a rare and excellent discovery, congrats.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your purpose in repeatedly spamming these various threads with this photo? ???
Something tells me, we have a member from a distant land, Engwish may not be their 1st language, and has a bad, or no translator.
(the stone looks like it may be shell, also)

Nice points, and good luck with finding more. (sorry for side-bar on your thread).

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That material is definitely Hixton quartzite/silicified sand. there are many color variations from gray to the golden golor, red, and speckled... Cant really tell if the base is all there on the bigger piece, the one picture makes it seem to be and then another makes it seem as it maybe it is broken off.
Did you notice big piece of this same rock where you are finding these? Keep your eyes open for that and i can knap it into modern points of old design.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread