blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently Dug a 1866 Indian Head Penny and it is in alright condition. The pictures I took are not the greatest I can read almost all of liberty pretty good under a microscope. BUT is it worth anything because I soaked it in Olive Oil and it has green corrosion on the back and the front see pics below. Also is it worth getting graded or am I wasting my money thanks

Also since it has been soaked in olive oil does it hurt its value any? 2014-10-08 17.54.26.jpg 2014-10-08 17.55.12.jpg 2014-10-08 17.55.37.jpg 2014-10-08 17.56.00.jpg 2014-10-08 17.56.22.jpg 2014-10-08 17.56.43.jpg

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the pictures are blurry in the thread please click on the pics they are clearer that way

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug an 1866 IH in Aright Condition too... :thumbsup: First I took it to a coin dealer he offered me 8 dollars... :icon_scratch: Then I took it to another dealer he offered me $10 :BangHead: They both said they'll maybe sell it online and get $20. I ended up selling it online and I got yup around $20 for it... :dontknow:All the best !! My coin was uncleaned, as for grading its not worth it if you get less than what it cost to grade it in my opinion. :occasion14:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow,thats a clean unworn i.h penny..Is that a dig or from other source?:thumbsup:

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that condition its worth a good $50-$75.

So it's worth getting graded. I looked it would cost $20 to get graded. Also it has been in olive oil does it hurt it's value at all. Even with the green corrosion on it it's worth that

WheatWaffle

Bronze Member
Oct 30, 2013
If you have cleaned the coin it is not worth getting graded. All they will probably grade it as is improperly cleaned, and it won't really help the value.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have cleaned the coin it is not worth getting graded. All they will probably grade it as is improperly cleaned, and it won't really help the value.

I just soaked it in olive oil. I Don't see how that could hurt it olive oil is not acidic

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always thought that any "dug" coin will be graded "environmental damage".

So if it's environmentally damaged it's not worth anything to a collector and it's not worth getting graded.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That coin is worth more than you think. It looks to be in vf to xf. Some ody will pay 90 to 100 bucks for it on ebay. Guarantee you. Dont get it graded though. Those old indians are given some leeway when dug. Just not that many war year indians with that detail out there for sale.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys..!!?? :BangHead:

This is the facts of life man... :icon_scratch: The only way you'll get any kind of good money for it is if you grade it.. However since it is dug, you may get it back in a body bag... :dontknow: If you get lucky and it grades good, you can make a :thumbsup: buck. Otherwise you'll maybe be able to sell it as a blue book price, (low dealer value) on an online auction site...??? I had one (That same coin) I went through the same thing... Thinking I had a great coin, only to be disappointed later...:sadsmiley: I don't want that to happen to you !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin, congratulations on a great find,BUT, there is obvious corrosion, zero chance that it would grade cleanly. Keep it, display it, show it off, it is a great find!

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Seriously guys... This coin will not get a grade other than a "Details" grade... even a small spot of corrosion will result in a "body bag". Don't waste the money putting in plastic... There is a small market for dug coins, but you wont be getting red book or even blue book prices for any copper coin that has been exposed to the elements...

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Id actually like to have a set of dug indians if they have the right patina... I have a few ive dug with a shiny green patina on them....

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess I won't have it graded. What do you think its worth in this condition

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions