Treasure of the Concepción - 15 coin limited edition set

speck

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My uncle was Henry Taylor, one of the principle guys working for Burt Webber and Seaquest International from 1976 up through the discovery of the Concepción in November 1978. He sent my Mother this letter shortly after they had made the discovery:

After browsing around this forum today, I realized that some of you older folks may have known him. He has always been one of my heroes - a treasure hunter, bachelor (up until his 60's) and driver of British roadsters!

My Mother ("Uncle Hennie's" only sister) died this past summer and in the course of going through all of her belongings, we came across this Treasure. It appears to be a limited edition collection from the Concepción booty. Uncle Hennie must have given this to my Mom back in 1979 or early 80's. I'm guessing that the "2000" on the display case label indicates that they made 2000 of these 15 piece sets.

I don't know if we are going to keep it or not but we are curious about its approximate current market value. You guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable in this area.

Any guesses?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20141209_LetterFromHenryToEdie_19790101.jpg
    20141209_LetterFromHenryToEdie_19790101.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to offer a opinion on value. I can't even see what coins are included, and I have no idea what the whole case coins and all would be worth. The letter and such would probably aid the value if included. "Limited Edition" collectibles are usually a ripoff and generally go down in value over the years. This being a selection of original silver coins I would assume that it has escalated in value. I think you either need to provide better pictures of the coins, and maybe someone here can get in the ballpark, or take it to someone competent to offer a appraisal.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe you have an historical, educational and valuable collection.
My suggestion is that you contact both Heritage Auctions ([email protected]) and Daniel Sedwick ([email protected]).
Provide them with a copy of Taylor's letter and ancillary material that you have shown above; and close up pics of both sides of each coin; then ask them for an estimate of value.
Don.......

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I agree with Don. Contact Sedwick with regards to an appraisal. You will need to provide close-up photos of the front and back of each coin.

Now, I will make a WAG from general market estimates, assumptions, guesstimates. My first assumption is that Uncle Henry being the chief preservationist and coin conservator did not select ordinary dreck in this collection. Having access to some choice material, He likely cherry-picked some of the coins. My guess is that the majority are 8 Reales. There are at least 3 that look to be smaller denominations. Current market conditions on Conception cobs vary. The ordinary 8R dreck will bring $75-$100. A solid detailed 8R can bring $250-$300. A Unique (assayer/mint/mint error) 8R can bring $400. An exceptional 8R can bring $400+. With all that in mind, my guesstimate would be a minimum $1500 - $3000. With letter of provenance, display box, and other material, it will only add to the value of the set.

Definitely, contact Sedwick and if you are selling be sure to consign with his Treasure Auctions.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is that you contact both Heritage Auctions ([email protected]) and Daniel Sedwick ([email protected]).
Provide them with a copy of Taylor's letter and ancillary material that you have shown above; and close up pics of both sides of each coin; then ask them for an estimate of value.
Don.......

I agree

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised they are not graded... :icon_scratch: If they are genuine you should get them graded before selling or storing them. :thumbsup:

Awesome !! :headbang:

OP
OP
S

speck

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don.......

Thanks for the helpful contacts/treasure wisdom. I'll follow up with those contacts. Note that I'm guessing that Uncle Hennie probably did not hand pick the coins for this set - (but I don't know!) Here's some more information that may help tell if this was a special set or just one picked out from the many sets produced:

Here is a shot where the information for each coin is readable: (Click for higher res version)

I've summarized the various parameters:

Set:
#140 (Taylor)

Coin numbers:
Consecutive from: 52,086 to 52,100

Grades:
4 - Fine
3 - Fine (rare)
3 - Good
2 - X-fine ("8" Denomination)
1 - X-fine
1 - Fine ("8" Denomination)