Tiffany & Co Yachting Timer ?

runbkk83

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks I am a new to this forum so I appreciate the help greatly. I do realize I need to have more pictures but can anyone tell me something about this watch based on this photo? Thanks! image.jpg

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a stopwatch of some kind maybe, likely silver. :icon_scratch: Could be worth some good money !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Certainly doesn't look like something that is typically faked. The numbers are backwards though, usually clockwise starts at 1 so this seems very specialized or perhaps an Australian concept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It counts down, so related to something that you count backwards. ??? Like a space shuttle launch or something !! :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
What an unusual piece !! :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
R

runbkk83

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys ! I wish I knew more about it and a kinda of ballpark price range ?:icon_scratch:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on the materials. If it's silver 400-600, if gold it would start at 2k+.

Can you tell us about the marks? It appears silver with some tarnishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Photo galery of regatta stopwatches | Regatta Yachttimers

Yep. Yacht races give a five minute gun or horn and a one minute horn. Unlike cars they don't have brakes so when the gun goes off for the start you hit the starting line at speed. The tactics are to cross at just the right time without breaking a rule and getting penalized.

There is a contact e-mail at the link above for someone who collects them. He may be interested. (Many similar shown but no identical match).

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
This item is interesting on a couple levels. Digging into the link Charlie P posted, I notice a few things which might make this a very rare item or a very...interesting item.

Looking down the images from the link I come across one labeled "Le Phare" Reg'd No. 4330. The timer watch face has the words "The Paget" above the Reg. No.

Your example has a further line with "Tiffany & Co." The timer looks exactly the same but one has Tiffany on it and the other does not...hmm.

Further digging into the history of "Le Phare" which means The Lighthouse in French was a Swiss watch company started in the late 1880s by a couple fellas and eventually become known for making chronograph watch faces by the early 1940s, by the 1980s not too much is heard. I saw they provided some movements for Bulova (another watch maker) from time to time.

Now a little bit about Tiffany & Co as it relates to time pieces. Usually Tiffany who was not well known for making watches obviously but one of the areas they were known is silver. When Tiffany & Co did come out with very nice pocket watches, etc. usually they partnered with Patek Philippe & Co. which is almost universally recognized as one of the best watch brands in the world. Tiffany also had some of their own watches which did not bare the name of Patek Philippe but that was relatively recent.

Back to the regatta piece. While there were many other companies big and small that produced regatta stop watches, Le Phare was one in the pack neither the top of the heap nor completely unknown and I find it kinda interesting that Tiffany would partner with Le Phare in an area of wealth i.e. racing yachts and the associated pieces.

It is possible Tiffany contracted out their name to be branded on Le Phare pieces which might be what yours is, which is the only explanation I can think of for the "Tiffany & Co." logo the way it is written. The "&" that looks more like an "8" with a little "c" next to it, I have not been able to find another example where Tiffany ever printed it like that and they have undergone a few evolutions of the company logo and brands over the years.

Like I said, could be a one of a kind type item. More research may be needed before assessing values.

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, my estimates could be low, if there is one thing about sailing, especially racing, it's $$$$

OP
OP
R

runbkk83

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much everyone for your continued research is there any addional pictures i should post.. if this helps my step father whom is in his 90s his fathered worked for a private yacht owner in boston area not sure of specifics .. i would love to knpw more so interesting!!

OP
OP
R

runbkk83

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update! I checked the back of the timer which revealed:
WEILLl & CO
switzerland
Beside that is a lighty scribbed +14

And at the bottom is 126079

Hope this helps!! Thank you !

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Did some research on Weill & Co. Probably named for Louis Weill, a late 19th century London stockbroker turned watchmaker with a profitable import/export business (including swiss watches). Here's some background on the company. Will help with nailing down the manufacturer. Getting closer on this one. Now just need to find the connection with Weill and Tiffany.

Run a search for "Weill" in the link below

Sponsor's marks in watch cases

leewhope

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did we every get any closer on this one? I have the same exact stopwatch. Took it to Tiffany and Co to get it cleaned and running again and they said 1908-1910. Cost $900 to get it fixed, but they said worth well more..... Wouldn't say how much

pattymi770

Greenie
Apr 15, 2016
mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leewhope I was wondering the same things

"The Paget was registered in 1897 by Weill & Cie, located in LA chaux-de-fonds" can not find how much it would be worth im betting over 2000$ looking at others on ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread