gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sound cool, but I think the "historian" was reaching a bit since there can be NO way to actually prove they came from the Half Moon. How about posting some photos, we'd all like to see these things, and myself, as a long time Hudson rivertown resident would like to know more closely where on the river they were found.

OP
OP
C

Cadillac3

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Do I go about attaching pictures?

OP
OP
C

Cadillac3

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father passed away so I'm going by memory but as I recall the location was near a lighthouse in the vicinity on the Hudson. The lighthouse served as my Dads' landmark to help him find the location by land after finding them by boat earlier in the week while working. The cannon balls were entangled in tree roots that were growing around them. The roots were being exposed from the waves pounding the shoreline.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can post pics by clicking on the third icon from the right at the top of the "reply" page and upload the pics from your computer or a photo hosting site. There was a lot of revolutionary war activity on the Hudson from New York City to Albany and there are many lighthouses. I would think cannon balls would more likely be rev war era. Do you know where your dad was working? There is also an island in the river where a lot of civil war era relics have been found, but there is no lighthouse nearby. Knowing closer to where they were found may help along with photos of figuring out their likely source. There is a lighthouse at Stony Point and also a rev war fort there, and another across the river, and there were artillery barrages fired in these areas. Do you know how many years ago he found them?? They sound like cool relics!!

OP
OP
C

Cadillac3

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
You can post pics by clicking on the third icon from the right at the top of the "reply" page and upload the pics from your computer or a photo hosting site. There was a lot of revolutionary war activity on the Hudson from New York City to Albany and there are many lighthouses. I would think cannon balls would more likely be rev war era. Do you know where your dad was working? There is also an island in the river where a lot of civil war era relics have been found, but there is no lighthouse nearby. Knowing closer to where they were found may help along with photos of figuring out their likely source. There is a lighthouse at Stony Point and also a rev war fort there, and another across the river, and there were artillery barrages fired in these areas. Do you know how many years ago he found them?? They sound like cool relics!!

OP
OP
C

Cadillac3

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was however a little mistaken on my knowledge. I reached out to my uncle who knew a little more about these and our conversation is posted below. (My father worked in the Hudson River in Troy, NY at a lock and damn so I naturally assumed they were recovered from that area)

*ME* = Trying to research the cannon balls some more. Do you know the general area on the Hudson where he found them, was it near his work? I see that their use to be a few lighthouses and also some artillery barrages. Also, do you possibly remember the year est. That he found them? Thanks for all the help.

*UNCLES REPLY* = No, not at all near his work. When I mention Hudson, I was speaking of the city of Hudson. That's the area around where Dad found them. Thinking back, it had to be in the late 70s or very early 80s when he came across them. This may help too. If you can come across a local book author who wrote on the history of the Hudson River in or around the 1980s, that would be a great source for information. In your Dad's research and quest for more information, he met with a historian who was working at the Watervliet Arsenal. This guy was very intrigued by Dad's find and the location of this find, though I do not believe he ever told him the exact whereabouts, but rather an approximation. I do recall too your Dad making mention of this historian giving credit to and referencing him in his book. Whether he actually ever did, I do not know. I hope this helps, but if for nothing else, it is a great story and remembrance. If you come across anything, please let me know.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it would likely be hard to prove that the cannonballs came from the Halve Maen but the two apparent sizes makes it possible. The Halve Maen was only armed with 4 Cannons (which is hard to believe but apparently correct), two Starboard and two Port or Larboard back in those days. It is likely that the two cannons on each side were of two different sizes, which gives the O.P.'s cannonballs more of a chance of being from this ship. An expert on the ship as well as it's cannons would likely be needed to verify or dispell the belief that they came from the Halve Maen and all cannon and cannonball sizes from that time through the Civil War would have to be considered to rule them in or rule them out.

Good luck!

Frank

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing is for sure, these artifacts have a great deal of local historical interest for the area they were found. If nothing else comes from it I would think it important to keep all of your documentation with the balls. Such documentation, even if one considers it heresay is an important attribution to such relics as these. For myself, you got a believer in me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread