Discoidal

jmwe29

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, ran across this forum looking for information on how to have a discoidal evaluated. My father-in-law found one along the MO River years ago, and now that I know what it is, I am curious to find out what its value might be. Would anyone know where to go? This one is about 3 3/4" in diameter and stands about 1 3/4" tall; it is unperforated and is in good shape. We are within driving distance of Cahokia Mounds in Illinois, so we are assuming it is a chunkey stone; it looks like red granite to me. Thanks for any pointers.

Attachments

• Chunkey stone 003.JPG
    Chunkey stone 003.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 155

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
No idea what it's worth but it's a nice one. It would be priceless to me if I found it.

Sidevalve45

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Just spent over an hour putting together q response, only to have it disappear to who knows where. Anyhow. I am no expert. Looks like round rock to me. I have one that is like a bowling ball of any one wants it. High school friend wanted to try prospecting All he got was this rock that he left behind when he got out of the car. He seemed to think it was special. I thought it looked just like a river rock. We may never agree to exactly what the hell it is, but it makes a great chock block

justinberry

Jun 17, 2017
Arkansas (Crowleys Ridge)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab X-Terra 305, Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di series 2, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud (very first model), Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just spent over an hour putting together q response, only to have it disappear to who knows where. Anyhow. I am no expert. Looks like round rock to me. I have one that is like a bowling ball of any one wants it. High school friend wanted to try prospecting All he got was this rock that he left behind when he got out of the car. He seemed to think it was special. I thought it looked just like a river rock. We may never agree to exactly what the hell it is, but it makes a great chock block

lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Values can vary greatly, it's worth is what someone is willing to pay. I would guess between $250 and $400 to private buyer depending on how it was sold, auctions usually bring more due to bidders competing. I have seen points worth $100 go for 5 times that due to multiple bidders wanting the same point for their collection and money no object.

I was at auction in Missouri in the 90s and watched a doctor and a lawyer at same auction bidding against each other for multiple items being sold by a farmer who lived on the Missouri river, farmer was in his 90s and going into a retirement home and was auctioning off hundreds of pieces. It became apparent quickly that money was no object to them, if I was bidding and one of them or both bid against me I dropped out when price passed what I thought it was worth and they usually continued to bid it up to 3 times+ what I was willing to pay...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You took so long writing the post the post timed out. If your working on a post that takes a long time, always copy and save it or write it in word to begin with....

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at auction in Missouri in the 90s and watched a doctor and a lawyer at same auction bidding against each other for multiple items being sold by a farmer who lived on the Missouri river, farmer was in his 90s and going into a retirement home and was auctioning off hundreds of pieces. It became apparent quickly that money was no object to them, if I was bidding and one of them or both bid against me I dropped out when price passed what I thought it was worth and they usually continued to bid it up to 3 times+ what I was willing to pay...

I was also at a farm auction in Missouri in the 90's near the river and I recall seeing two ladies going head to head on a very ratty Victorian fainting couch that eventually sold for nine grand. I was astonished to say the least. It needed a complete reupholster and was worth less than a grand when auctioned.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to live in Columbia Mo, the auction was in Booneville..... I hunted the fields, creeks, streams and rivers there for 20 years until 2001 when I moved back to Florida..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread