Sheffield Plate

brainbow

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!,,,,Can anybody please help me to find out more about this piece I just found in an old ladies house? It comes in 4 pieces- the plate, the basket including a satinated glass inlay and and a lid with a bone (ivory?) handle /the handle is screwed in and there it says "Sheffield ''Plate on a ring -plate under the screw.It seems to be very old... Anybody can please help me to find out more?Where is it from, how old, and what is it worth? Thank you for your help in advance, greetings from germany, Brigitte
PS it has the same stamp mark on all three items.../ the plate, the bowl and the lid

Attachments

• IMG_0403-a.jpg
    IMG_0403-a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0395-b.jpg
    IMG_0395-b.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0404-c.jpg
    IMG_0404-c.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 100
  • GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 191
  • GetAttachment.aspx-2.jpeg
    GetAttachment.aspx-2.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brainbow

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meanwhile I found out with the help of a silver forum, that the stamp tells the design of that dish was registered on 2nd of april 1869....so it only gives us the earliest possible date of when it could have been made, but such an item may have been made for many years later.,
but still no idea, what it could be worth for a collector.... Any ideas to find it out? Greetings from Germany, Brigitte

Apr 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the mark shows when and where it is made,lookup silver markings.you often see these kinds of markings on old pottery

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the Sheffield is a town in England ... its very well known as exporters of plates and various crockery items .. its a silver "plated" serving dish

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread