Small Treasure

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the fact that items were found hidden together increase their value over ordinary numismatic or spot price? Any idea what this small treasure might be worth? It was found not too far from an old rustlers hideaway. The location is also in an area once frequented by a person who was known for distrusting banks and hiding his money in old containers.

Attachments

• Hygeia Markers_Web.jpg
    Hygeia Markers_Web.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 309
  • Hygeia 1916_Web.jpg
    Hygeia 1916_Web.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 288
  • First Reveal_Web.jpg
    First Reveal_Web.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 363
  • Twenty Morgans_Web.jpg
    Twenty Morgans_Web.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 381

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that there are 20, sure bet there are more stashes of 20 out there!!!

As far as value I think it'd be the coins themselves. If the cache was attributed to a famous outlaw or something it could be more but it'd be tough without finger print evidence or something. Treasure from specific ships can carry a premium but the ship is known.

Btw, not sure if this is posted anywhere else but I'd call it a banner find!

OP
OP
A

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dates & Mint Marks

Hygeia was the goddess of good health;no doubt the owner of this stash was in good financial health.
What are the dates and mint marks of the coins?
Great collection !!
Don.......

After doing a little research, the container is a baby bottle with a raised patent date of 1916. Coin dates, with gaps, run from 1879 through 1900. Mint marks include Philadelphia, New Orleans, and San Francisco.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the very reason we dig in the dirt! Congratulations!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can only imagine what you would call a "big" treasure. nice find.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that bottled silver. That's a dream find there

OP
OP
A

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The country that this came from is pretty rugged. There are many places to hide secrets. Besides, my casual talks with the locals about this sort of thing informs me that most folks think, "It's all been found." The more I look around,though, the less likely I am to believe that's true. But, even if this is the last of it, I'm happy.

OP
OP
A

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can only imagine what you would call a "big" treasure. nice find.

My idea of a big treasure would be something on the scale of that recent find in Poland, or some of the hoards uncovered in Britain. Even that single silver bar discovered off the Madagascar coast would qualify.

OP
OP
A

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as value I think it'd be the coins themselves. If the cache was attributed to a famous outlaw or something it could be more but it'd be tough without finger print evidence or something. Treasure from specific ships can carry a premium but the ship is known.

Two of the coins have inscriptions. One just has the letter H carved into the cheek of Lady Liberty. The other has a very faint name and date, "HP Lunke" and "JAN 30." I have a query into the area historical society to see if they have any record of someone by that moniker living in the area around the turn of the last century. It's a long shot. The inscriptions probably have nothing to do with the cache. We'll see.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Amazing Amazing! Congrats on this Cache! Your heart must have been pounding out of your chest!!!!!

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

===============================================================
I HAVE to agree with Henry on this.
Humans are creatures of habit,, absolutely.

That spot would get the "grid" treatment for sure.
EXCELLENT FIND !
Keep[ looking I have a feeling there is MORE there.

Hit

OP
OP
A

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted some information on the process I used to make the coins recognizable in the "Research/Preservation" forum under the topic "Cleaning and Preservation." I also included before and after images so that visitors can get a better look at the coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Amazing Amazing! Congrats on this Cache! Your heart must have been pounding out of your chest!!!!!
Yeah, this is definetely the kind of thing that keeps blood pumping through our veins and gives us an excuse to get outside and exercise!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice ! historical Context is Most Important.

Just like a Coin that can be proven to have come off the Nuestra Senora de Atocha,
can be worth 10 or more times what the same coin found on a beach would sell for.

If you can Provide Documentation that proves it's a Robbers cash, it improves in Value.
If the robber is Famous it increases the value more.

Even if just a Regular persons Cache, it is worth more as a Cache.

And yes once you start breaking it up, you only have silver Value.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By he way I see your New here :thumbsup:

welcome to TreasureNet

Aug 6, 2011
Somerset NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett: ACE350, GTI2500, and radio shack models..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find... I would love to see pics of coins individually. I'm a collector... its mainly why I decided to start detecting.. lol An excellent website to check out those Morgan Dollars is called Http//:www.vamworld.com
What ever you do don't clean the coins with ANYTHING! It can remove any additional value over Spot price. (Silver Content)
If you decided to sell them off please post. If you don't want to handle it yourself..
Heres some auction houses that are Very respectable.
HA.com
Stackbowers.com

If you would like some help with looking at your find. Message me. If you send photos I can look them up for you.... Its part of the fun..lol
Once again excellent find.
Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
A

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already Cleaned

Awesome find... I would love to see pics of coins individually. I'm a collector... its mainly why I decided to start detecting.. lol An excellent website to check out those Morgan Dollars is called Http//:www.vamworld.com
What ever you do don't clean the coins with ANYTHING! It can remove any additional value over Spot price. (Silver Content)
If you decided to sell them off please post. If you don't want to handle it yourself..
Heres some auction houses that are Very respectable.
HA.com
Stackbowers.com

If you would like some help with looking at your find. Message me. If you send photos I can look them up for you.... Its part of the fun..lol
Once again excellent find.
Thanks for posting.

See my post #14.

Cuttin Plugs2

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2015
Tarheel State
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum E-Series,,,Whites Pro Coin Master,,,Beach HunterID, and love it...!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a blessing to find....way to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread