15 Collectibles That Are Completely Worthless

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
15 Collectibles That Are Completely Worthless - TheStreet

Andrew Meola
05/26/15 - 10:10 AM EDT

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- At some point in many of our lives, we've tried to complete a collection of something. There's just something about having an incomplete set of collectibles that triggers this desire in our brains to go out and gather the rest of them because...well, that's a question for another day.

But if we're truly honest with ourselves, many of the collectibles we've tried to amass, either as children or as adults, were ultimately rendered worthless. We spent all that time and money to finish the set only to realize that we wasted our resources.

So looking back on it, what are some of the most devalued collections out there? We checked out some of the collectibles up for auction on eBay (EBAY) and compared them against current selling prices for the same item on Amazon (AMZN). Here's our list of 15 collectibles that tend to be more worthless than not.

Hummel Figurines

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $8,500

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $10.50

These saccharine-sweet ceramic figurines first appeared in 1935 as three-dimensional representations of drawings by German nun Maria Innocentia Hummel.

When U.S. soldiers returned from Germany after World War II, they brought these keepsakes home for their wives and children. In the '60s and '70s, the figurines made their way into Hallmark stores and airport gift shops. As more Hummel figurines were produced and countless "special editions" were created, the resale value of these ceramics began to sink.

The supply of Hummels just keeps growing as the generations that collected Hummels pass away, leaving behind thousands of their diminishing-value dust-collectors.

Lladro Statues

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $18,500

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $45

Unlike the other collectibles mentioned above, Lladro figurines can start from a lofty price point. But, in the secondary market, it's a different story. Many of these figures are sold on eBay for more than half of what they were originally worth.

As with many "limited edition" collectibles, the supply isn't so limited. A $1,800 figure called "Let's Swing," for example, has a "limited edition" of 3,000 figures. Even the $9,500 "Alexander Nevski" statuette is sold in editions of at least 500. The figurine maker takes pride in its "retired" pieces, but like many retirees, they're not hard to get ahold of once they leave the shop.

Thomas Kinkade Paintings

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $21,000

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $30

Mr. Kinkade called himself the "painter of light." That may be true, but his light paintings don't really amount to much in the dollar department these days.

His works became so popular that his company, Media Arts Group, went public in 1994. But the stock lost more than 80% of its value and Kinkade bought it back for $32.7 million in 2004.

The paintings were extremely popular up until the 1990s, when the Internet made them available to pretty much anyone who wanted one. The market became over-saturated with his work and the value of the pieces plummeted.

Precious Moments Figurines

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,200

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $2.00

Precious Moments figurines unfortunately offer some of the worst return value for the original price. The little figures could retail for as much as $45, but you can pick some up on Amazon for less than $5.

Norman Rockwell Plates

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,049

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $1.06

It may not be much of a surprise to learn that a collection of plates honoring the work of an artist who passed away in 1978, and whose works were widely available prior to his death, isn't worth all that much. Multiple companies manufactured the plates, including Goebel, The Bradford Exchange, The Danbury Mint and The Knowles/Rockwell Society.

Beanie Babies

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $499,000

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $2.99

These little stuffed animals were everywhere in the 1990s. Parents and children alike hoarded the bean-stuffed plush toys as if they were going to spontaneously turn to gold. And therein was the problem. The item became so popular that Ty, the company that produced the adorable creatures, pumped them out to the point where the market became oversaturated.

Sure, some of the ultra-rare items are worth a fortune. The Princess Diana Beanie Babies, for example, could net you hundreds of thousands of dollars. But the average toy you or your parents purchased in the 90s isn't worth enough to buy you anything these days.

Hot Wheels

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $7,000

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $5.43

These toys are undeniably cool, but there are so many of them out there that they have little to no value in terms of making big money as a collector. Mattel releases approximately 250 new cars every year. Entire collections of more than a decade's worth of toys are maybe worth a few thousand dollars --if that-- so you're better off saving your money for something else.

Happy Meal Toys

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $299.95

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): 1 cent

As a child, it was always exciting to get a Happy Meal at McDonald's because of the little toy that came with it. And in the back of your mind, you thought that it might be worth something down the road if you got an entire set and kept the toys sealed. Unfortunately, child you was wrong.

A set of 400 Happy Meal toys from across three decades is worth only about $500 on eBay. Consider that you probably spent a few dollars per meal, and all you got for your troubles was almost worthless products and possibly high cholesterol.

Trading Cards

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $475,000

Any 90s child remembers the absolute frenzy created by Pokemon, both the video game and the trading cards. Schoolchildren played with the cards during recess and lunch breaks, and went wild trying to collect the entire set. Anyone who ripped open those silver cellophane packages hoping for an elusive Charizard card knows what I mean.

Nostalgic though they may be, these cards aren't worth much nowadays, as even the rarest cards are worth about $35. Unless you go to eBay, where people are trying to get you to shell out $5,000 for incomplete sets.

The same is true of most trading card sets. Unless you have the super-rare, one-out-of-a-handful card, you probably wasted your time.

Cabbage Patch Kids

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,499.99

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $9.99

Xavier Roberts first introduced these toys at craft fairs in the 1970s, but they exploded in popularity in the 1980s when Coleco bought the brand and turned parents into crazed lunatics that actually caused riots trying to buy the dolls for their children during the holidays.

The dolls cost approximately $25, but many of them are not even worth that price today. Some dolls from the 80s sell for less than $10 on eBay.

Franklin Mint Collectibles

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $3,200

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $19.95

Franklin Mint has made its name manufacturing a variety of collectible items, such as coins, jewelry, dolls, sculptures and even die cast vehicles. Unfortunately, most of these items are worth nowhere near their original sale price once you take them home.

Coins with the faces of U.S. presidents, for example, may have sold for more than $250 originally, but some complete collections on eBay are valued at less than $40.

Marbles

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $7,500

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): 99 cents

This one is just downright baffling. Sure, marbles are pretty, but the generic colorful varieties are almost worthless. You can buy an entire bag's worth for 99 cents.

The only real value in this collectible comes in the ultra-rare versions, such as China marbles. Europeans began crafting these ceramic beauties in the 19th century, and only a handful of so-called "scenic" marbles, which portray pastoral scenes around the equator of the marble and feature pinwheel patterns on the ends, remain in existence. A pastoral is worth approximately $10,000, but they're nearly impossible to find.

DVDs/CDs

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,995.95

In parts of the 1980s and 1990s, CDs were the primary way to get your music. There was something exciting about getting all the albums of your favorite artist and displaying them proudly when you weren't listening to them.

In the 2000s, DVDs emerged. The temptation arose to buy the entire Star Wars trilogy, every James Bond movie and every other set imaginable.

But technology has quickly eroded the value of these collectibles. All that music you bought on discs is now available through iTunes, Pandora, Spotify and dozens of other means. Movies are on Netflix or on demand via your local cable satellite provider. Perhaps these items will one day go the route of vinyl records and become charmingly retro, but for now they're just collecting dust.

Hess Trucks

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,700

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $3.97

Hess started releasing its now-famous trucks in 1964 and they exploded in popularity by the 1980s. The models became more intricate and started to include space shuttles and probes, motorcycles and other vehicles to go alongside the standard trucks.

Resale value of the trucks started to decline around this time as production increased. Because of this, only the trucks from the 1960s and 1970s hold any significant value. You can find Hess trucks from the 1990s for around $5 on eBay.

Pogs

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $1.49

Of all the worthless collectibles, these top the list. Pogs were a collection of cardboard circles that comprised a game that was wildly popular in the 1990s.

The game involved stacking the Pogs, then hitting them with a slightly heavier object called a slammer to scatter them. Each player picked up the ones that landed face up, and play continued until no more Pogs remained. The player with the most was the winner.

It was a cute, enjoyable and easy game, but people collected these things like they were made of diamonds. Let's restate this just to be clear. They were cardboard circles.

A collection of 400 Pogs and five slammers on eBay sells for $20. If you collected these things, then we suggest gluing them together and using them as coasters.

What are some other worthless collectibles? Let us know in the comments section.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pretty surprised couple months ago when I pulled my pogs out of the attic and saw they are worthless. Donated them and A whole lot of 1980s 90s baseball cards to Goodwill. Don't need that garbage around anymore!! We were told they would be worth fortunes!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While still a great market place for unique and sometimes, one of a kind collectibles, eBay has almost single-handedly destroyed the value of items there were made in many multiples, especially trading cards, stamps and many coins!

Frank

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
I was pretty surprised couple months ago when I pulled my pogs out of the attic and saw they are worthless. Donated them and A whole lot of 1980s 90s baseball cards to Goodwill. Don't need that garbage around anymore!! We were told they would be worth fortunes!!
By the people selling them....

Drogo

May 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin Mint is downright deceptive. I succumbed to their marketing in the late 1980's. Some of their die-cast models were offered as "last ever" editions. Problem is: if you wait five years or so, those "last ever" editions are issued once again, devaluing the ones you thought would appreciate in value due to their rarity.

I had it out with them. They did everything in their power to keep my business, but I already felt like a sucker due to their tactics. To this day it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll search for uncut star sapphires at yard sales before I ever buy from Franklin Mint again.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early-to-mid-90's -- 4th, 5th, and 6th grades -- I had thousands of pogs. I used to play that game like crazy. Pog tournaments every weekend. Was fun. I sold them all at a yard sale when I was in high school for $10. Haha.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The things that will be collectible from any era, are the things that no one payed a lot of attention to as collectibles at the time.

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are very wrong about marbles, as with a lot of collectibles prices have dropped quite a bit but there are dozens and dozens of valuable marbles that were made even up to the fifties. I have sold thousands and thousands of marbles and have done well with them.....Joe McDonough

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never knew Pogs were worth anything to begin with, but I sure do miss my old ones. And man, they couldn't have been more 90s. I had ones that said things like "Phat Cat" or "Dat's Phat." I wish they'd make a comeback. One thing I always wanted (and still do) was that little machine that let you make your own Pogs. Anybody remember that thingy? I saw it in a commercial, but I forget the name of it. I assume it's similar to the button-pin machines people use today.

I also fell into the Beanie Baby craze... or, rather, my parents indulged me, and I was never allowed to get rid of them because of the money spent on them. Now, they're maybe a quarter each at the thrift store, including the coveted Princess Diana teddy bear. From what I understand, the Princess bears are only worth anything if they happen to be the first edition ones that are filled with some kind of special pellets. The rest are junk. Aside from that, the very early Beanie Babies are the only ones that might net you more than what you paid for them, and that's if you happen to find a hardcore collector. Being worth a ton of money doesn't mean a thing if you don't find somebody to buy it!

Aaaand I did the Pokemon cards too. In fact, I still have mine and occasionally get more loose cards if I can get them for a dime or quarter apiece of my favorite characters. Some cards are still worth a lot even now, but they're super-rare cards like the Pikachu Illustrator card. I think that was some kind of promotional item, but I've seen some sources claim there are only four or five in existence with others claiming there are 40. Certain error cards can also possibly be worth a pretty penny. But a vast majority of these things probably aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on. The upside is if you were one of those kids who dreamed about having the coveted foil Charizard or the Ancient Mew cards, you can get them now pretty cheap.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did the same thing with my 2 large boxes of '80s and '90s baseball cards........they went to the church yard sale in April........a fellow came in, got very excited and bought all of them. It was a good trade off..........he will have hours of fun going through them, the church made a little cash and I have extra room in the attic............

debbmb

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming from a newbie thank you for the info

15 Collectibles That Are Completely Worthless - TheStreet

Andrew Meola
05/26/15 - 10:10 AM EDT

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- At some point in many of our lives, we've tried to complete a collection of something. There's just something about having an incomplete set of collectibles that triggers this desire in our brains to go out and gather the rest of them because...well, that's a question for another day.

But if we're truly honest with ourselves, many of the collectibles we've tried to amass, either as children or as adults, were ultimately rendered worthless. We spent all that time and money to finish the set only to realize that we wasted our resources.

So looking back on it, what are some of the most devalued collections out there? We checked out some of the collectibles up for auction on eBay (EBAY) and compared them against current selling prices for the same item on Amazon (AMZN). Here's our list of 15 collectibles that tend to be more worthless than not.

Hummel Figurines

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $8,500

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $10.50

These saccharine-sweet ceramic figurines first appeared in 1935 as three-dimensional representations of drawings by German nun Maria Innocentia Hummel.

When U.S. soldiers returned from Germany after World War II, they brought these keepsakes home for their wives and children. In the '60s and '70s, the figurines made their way into Hallmark stores and airport gift shops. As more Hummel figurines were produced and countless "special editions" were created, the resale value of these ceramics began to sink.

The supply of Hummels just keeps growing as the generations that collected Hummels pass away, leaving behind thousands of their diminishing-value dust-collectors.

Lladro Statues

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $18,500

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $45

Unlike the other collectibles mentioned above, Lladro figurines can start from a lofty price point. But, in the secondary market, it's a different story. Many of these figures are sold on eBay for more than half of what they were originally worth.

As with many "limited edition" collectibles, the supply isn't so limited. A $1,800 figure called "Let's Swing," for example, has a "limited edition" of 3,000 figures. Even the $9,500 "Alexander Nevski" statuette is sold in editions of at least 500. The figurine maker takes pride in its "retired" pieces, but like many retirees, they're not hard to get ahold of once they leave the shop.

Thomas Kinkade Paintings

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $21,000

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $30

Mr. Kinkade called himself the "painter of light." That may be true, but his light paintings don't really amount to much in the dollar department these days.

His works became so popular that his company, Media Arts Group, went public in 1994. But the stock lost more than 80% of its value and Kinkade bought it back for $32.7 million in 2004.

The paintings were extremely popular up until the 1990s, when the Internet made them available to pretty much anyone who wanted one. The market became over-saturated with his work and the value of the pieces plummeted.

Precious Moments Figurines

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,200

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $2.00

Precious Moments figurines unfortunately offer some of the worst return value for the original price. The little figures could retail for as much as $45, but you can pick some up on Amazon for less than $5.

Norman Rockwell Plates

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,049

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $1.06

It may not be much of a surprise to learn that a collection of plates honoring the work of an artist who passed away in 1978, and whose works were widely available prior to his death, isn't worth all that much. Multiple companies manufactured the plates, including Goebel, The Bradford Exchange, The Danbury Mint and The Knowles/Rockwell Society.

Beanie Babies

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $499,000

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $2.99

These little stuffed animals were everywhere in the 1990s. Parents and children alike hoarded the bean-stuffed plush toys as if they were going to spontaneously turn to gold. And therein was the problem. The item became so popular that Ty, the company that produced the adorable creatures, pumped them out to the point where the market became oversaturated.

Sure, some of the ultra-rare items are worth a fortune. The Princess Diana Beanie Babies, for example, could net you hundreds of thousands of dollars. But the average toy you or your parents purchased in the 90s isn't worth enough to buy you anything these days.

Hot Wheels

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $7,000

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $5.43

These toys are undeniably cool, but there are so many of them out there that they have little to no value in terms of making big money as a collector. Mattel releases approximately 250 new cars every year. Entire collections of more than a decade's worth of toys are maybe worth a few thousand dollars --if that-- so you're better off saving your money for something else.

Happy Meal Toys

As a child, it was always exciting to get a Happy Meal at McDonald's because of the little toy that came with it. And in the back of your mind, you thought that it might be worth something down the road if you got an entire set and kept the toys sealed. Unfortunately, child you was wrong.

A set of 400 Happy Meal toys from across three decades is worth only about $500 on eBay. Consider that you probably spent a few dollars per meal, and all you got for your troubles was almost worthless products and possibly high cholesterol.

Trading Cards

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $475,000

Any 90s child remembers the absolute frenzy created by Pokemon, both the video game and the trading cards. Schoolchildren played with the cards during recess and lunch breaks, and went wild trying to collect the entire set. Anyone who ripped open those silver cellophane packages hoping for an elusive Charizard card knows what I mean.

Nostalgic though they may be, these cards aren't worth much nowadays, as even the rarest cards are worth about $35. Unless you go to eBay, where people are trying to get you to shell out $5,000 for incomplete sets.

The same is true of most trading card sets. Unless you have the super-rare, one-out-of-a-handful card, you probably wasted your time.

Cabbage Patch Kids

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,499.99

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $9.99

Xavier Roberts first introduced these toys at craft fairs in the 1970s, but they exploded in popularity in the 1980s when Coleco bought the brand and turned parents into crazed lunatics that actually caused riots trying to buy the dolls for their children during the holidays.

The dolls cost approximately $25, but many of them are not even worth that price today. Some dolls from the 80s sell for less than $10 on eBay.

Franklin Mint Collectibles

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $3,200

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $19.95

Franklin Mint has made its name manufacturing a variety of collectible items, such as coins, jewelry, dolls, sculptures and even die cast vehicles. Unfortunately, most of these items are worth nowhere near their original sale price once you take them home.

Coins with the faces of U.S. presidents, for example, may have sold for more than $250 originally, but some complete collections on eBay are valued at less than $40.

Marbles

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $7,500

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): 99 cents

This one is just downright baffling. Sure, marbles are pretty, but the generic colorful varieties are almost worthless. You can buy an entire bag's worth for 99 cents.

The only real value in this collectible comes in the ultra-rare versions, such as China marbles. Europeans began crafting these ceramic beauties in the 19th century, and only a handful of so-called "scenic" marbles, which portray pastoral scenes around the equator of the marble and feature pinwheel patterns on the ends, remain in existence. A pastoral is worth approximately $10,000, but they're nearly impossible to find.

DVDs/CDs

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,995.95

In parts of the 1980s and 1990s, CDs were the primary way to get your music. There was something exciting about getting all the albums of your favorite artist and displaying them proudly when you weren't listening to them.

In the 2000s, DVDs emerged. The temptation arose to buy the entire Star Wars trilogy, every James Bond movie and every other set imaginable.

But technology has quickly eroded the value of these collectibles. All that music you bought on discs is now available through iTunes, Pandora, Spotify and dozens of other means. Movies are on Netflix or on demand via your local cable satellite provider. Perhaps these items will one day go the route of vinyl records and become charmingly retro, but for now they're just collecting dust.

Hess Trucks

Highest Price on eBay (as of 05/26/15): $1,700

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $3.97

Hess started releasing its now-famous trucks in 1964 and they exploded in popularity by the 1980s. The models became more intricate and started to include space shuttles and probes, motorcycles and other vehicles to go alongside the standard trucks.

Resale value of the trucks started to decline around this time as production increased. Because of this, only the trucks from the 1960s and 1970s hold any significant value. You can find Hess trucks from the 1990s for around $5 on eBay.

Pogs

Lowest Price on Amazon (as of 05/26/15): $1.49

Of all the worthless collectibles, these top the list. Pogs were a collection of cardboard circles that comprised a game that was wildly popular in the 1990s.

The game involved stacking the Pogs, then hitting them with a slightly heavier object called a slammer to scatter them. Each player picked up the ones that landed face up, and play continued until no more Pogs remained. The player with the most was the winner.

It was a cute, enjoyable and easy game, but people collected these things like they were made of diamonds. Let's restate this just to be clear. They were cardboard circles.

A collection of 400 Pogs and five slammers on eBay sells for $20. If you collected these things, then we suggest gluing them together and using them as coasters.

What are some other worthless collectibles? Let us know in the comments section.

I am not sure if I am replying in the correct spot, so I apologize if I got this wrong. First, thank you for the info, as a newbie it is helpful, I could see myself picking up some of the items you mentioned. Can you provide us with a list of the "Best 15 things" to pick up for re-sale? Please. I pick up a lot of things that are "new" and I see them as too good of a price to pass up, but not having much luck on turning them into a profit. I do my homework, check prices on ebay, most times before I purchase it. List it close to or at what others sold for, but have over 100 items listed. I am buying more then selling, but am making decent money on the things I do sell. Any advice would be appreciated. I come to this site, see what others find, read answers to questions others ask just to get educated as much as I can, watch youtube videos from other sellers to "learn". I just don't know what I am missing, or maybe I am expecting too much too soon. I put a lot of work into it, searching for the items, re-searching items, taking pics, describing items, shipping etc... At times I feel like the work/time is much more than what I am making $. I know you can make a good living at this, that is my goal, I know it won't happen over night and you have to put the work into it. I am willing to do the work, just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread