Ivory brooch in gold pin and a necklace carved customly Im guessing genuine ivoryold

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivory brooch in gold pin and a necklace carved customly I'm guessing genuine ivoryold

View attachment 1169733 View attachment 1169734

View attachment 1169735 View attachment 1169736

View attachment 1169737 View attachment 1169738

View attachment 1169739 View attachment 1169740

View attachment 1169741

Here's two pieces of ivory to which I believe are real.

What are they worth idk.
They are passed down from my grandmother.

On the brooch it's got a sticker on the back stating its genuine and from Hong Kong

It's also got a gold clip. The necklace seems to be made of all the same piece of ivory . It's a little older looking and the brooch seems maybe newer.

I've got some jade aswell only a fifty cent piece size chunk of it carved into the Star of David and the chai symbol in Hebrew engraved on one side and a solid polished jade on the back side.
Really beautiful stuff.
Let me know what you guys think about these two pieces of ivory and can I sell this stuff legally?
Thanks in advance .. Help me!
Thanks. U can reach me by email also, [email protected]

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!

It is legal to sell pre-ban (before 1989) ivory within the US - I wouldn't deal with international sales.

Ruby lane and Craigslist allow you to sell pre-ban ivory and allow you to list as such.

Ebay and Etsy do not allow Ivory sales, but I've seen carved "Faux" and "Bovine bone" listings? I'd take a look as your style pieces are common and may give you a bit more insight into pricing. Measure the bead size to compare - bigger is better!

Your brooch has a broken tusk which reduces it's value to material which scrimshaw artists buy.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so your telling me these pieces are not worth anything looking into and should just be held onto for sentimental value??

I mean I wasn't planning on selling them right now but I was curious what they would be worth, what is its worth estimated worth in your honest opinion?

I just wanted to get an idea of what I had and what it would be worth if I did decide to sell it or trade it in.

also can u tell what grade,shape,and exact kind of ivory this is? im under the impression that there are many different types of ivory and that they make it out of bone and elephant tusk ?? or walrus?hippo? teeth? lol

I have no idea what im really talking about when it comes to this stuff obviously, but hopfully some of you guys/ladys on here can help me.
is this real ivory?
what it worth?
is it common?
is this stuff old?
if so, how old?
is it in good shape?
should I store this stuff somewhere special or is inside the box I received with my iPhone six plus fine? both pieces are in plastic Ziploc baggies inside my iPhone box placed in my closet.
any help would be appreciated. I can send more photo's if you guys need them. I had a hard time getting them to upload on here but I got it all figured out and now have access to a computer rather than just my phone now.
thank you!!

OP
OP
B

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian you may want to read the laws on buying and selling Ivory... Your required to have document proving when item came to USA to sale or your breaking the law..

" AFRICAN ELEPHANT IVORY
IMPORT

It is illegal to import any item containing African-elephant ivory for commercial purposes.

However, some items containing African-elephant ivory — including musical instruments and items in an inheritance or a household move — may be imported for non-commercial purposes, but ONLY IF:

The item is accompanied by a document from the exporting country attesting that it was acquired before 1976 (by the current or previous owner);
It has not been bought or sold since February 25, 2014.

Once in the United States, these items cannot subsequently be bought or sold.

SALE & EXPORT

Items consisting of African-elephant ivory that are already in the United States can be sold within the country or exported only if they are accompanied by documentation attesting either that:

The ivory was harvested prior to 1976; OR
It was imported prior to 1976, before relevant CITES regulations had been enacted.

ASIAN ELEPHANT IVORY
IMPORT, EXPORT, SALE ACROSS STATE LINES

An item Asian-elephant ivory can be imported, exported, and sold across state lines ONLY IF it meets all of these criteria:

It has not been repaired or modified with ivory or any other part of a federally protected species (as defined by the Endangered Species Act) since 1973;
It is at least 100 years old;
It was EITHER imported prior to 1982; or after 1982 through one of 13 ports specifically designated for antiques; OR the item was manufactured in the United States from legally imported ivory.

SALE WITHIN STATES

An antique containing Asian-elephant ivory can be sold within a state ONLY IF it is accompanied by documentation from CITES certifying that it was imported prior to 1975.

The information on this page is current as of July 7, 2014."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/tips/ivory-law.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I need to find proper documentation proving its ore an from before 1976

IF I want to sell it. So with this proper documentation what would these be worth because I have them. I'm not in a city so I can't get it appraised really.

Brian you may want to read the laws on buying and selling Ivory... Your required to have document proving when item came to USA to sale or your breaking the law..

" AFRICAN ELEPHANT IVORY
IMPORT

It is illegal to import any item containing African-elephant ivory for commercial purposes.

However, some items containing African-elephant ivory – including musical instruments and items in an inheritance or a household move – may be imported for non-commercial purposes, but ONLY IF:

The item is accompanied by a document from the exporting country attesting that it was acquired before 1976 (by the current or previous owner);
It has not been bought or sold since February 25, 2014.

Once in the United States, these items cannot subsequently be bought or sold.

SALE & EXPORT

Items consisting of African-elephant ivory that are already in the United States can be sold within the country or exported only if they are accompanied by documentation attesting either that:

The ivory was harvested prior to 1976; OR
It was imported prior to 1976, before relevant CITES regulations had been enacted.

ASIAN ELEPHANT IVORY
IMPORT, EXPORT, SALE ACROSS STATE LINES

An item Asian-elephant ivory can be imported, exported, and sold across state lines ONLY IF it meets all of these criteria:

It has not been repaired or modified with ivory or any other part of a federally protected species (as defined by the Endangered Species Act) since 1973;
It was EITHER imported prior to 1982; or after 1982 through one of 13 ports specifically designated for antiques; OR the item was manufactured in the United States from legally imported ivory.

SALE WITHIN STATES

An antique containing Asian-elephant ivory can be sold within a state ONLY IF it is accompanied by documentation from CITES certifying that it was imported prior to 1975.

The information on this page is current as of July 7, 2014."

An Overview of Current Ivory Law | Tips of the Trade | Antiques Roadshow | PBS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Asian ivory, it has to meet ALL of the following criteria:

Value is what ever you can get for it.... Someone may give you $5.00 and someone else may give you $50.00 but to legally sale it you have to meet the criteria. Yours isn't 100 years old...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But on the other hand you may buy and sell prehistoric ivory from wholly mammoths. Anything modern should be avoided.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions