Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at a common sense approach.Any man that could write in Houstons time undoubtedly took pride in that fact.I dont think a man would take the chance of losing,ruining,any important writings that happened to be in his wallet,names,dates,etc intentionally.I'm not saying its real,not saying its fake.I'm looking at it from Houstons point of view,i wouldnt take the chance if i were him.Info was hard to replace back then,today its easy,back then not so.

That is a very good point that I had not considered.
If this was the wet wallet that is told in the tale of his baptism, perhaps the fact of his choosing to allow his wallet to get wet was an embellishment to cover up for his accidentally doing so, or perhaps he knew the notes, what ever the purpose were no longer necessary.
Maybe this item has no relevance to this story.
Just looking for answers.

Thanks for your contribution.

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at this photo, you will see what appears to be the remnants of what we would today call a business card.
card compressed.jpg
Today I found out that Sam Houston (as I am sure others in polite society) carried what was known then as a calling card.
Here is a link to one of Sam Houston's cards on display at the San Jacinto Battleground Museum.
COMMUNICATION ARTIFACTS - CARD, CALLING Detail

State of Texas antiquities experts have expressed an interest examining the wallet / ledger and I will get it to them in Austin in two or three weeks.
Of course I welcome any research help meanwhile.

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had always wondered about the way signed was written before each Sam Houston signature.
The auction house said someone told them it was because the currency being traded was signed by Sam Houston, but now I am sure that was wrong.
The treasures of The Republic of Texas are held by the Texas State Library and Archives. The photo below is from one of several documents in their possession written by Sam Houston where he wrote signed before his signature.

sam_houston_feb21_1844.jpg
compare to
032 (1024x768).jpg

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also compare " signed Sam Houston" here in the examples below.
sam_houston_feb21_1844.jpg
\compare to

019 (1024x768).jpg

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brought Sam Houston wallet / ledger to the Texas State Library and Archives last Friday at their invitation. I was informed before my visit that they could not officially authenticate the wallet / ledger, but were very interested in having a look at it. It was examined by the staff, and I will not put words in their mouth, but they did not seem to have any reason to believe that this was anything other than Sam Houston's writing in the ledger and everything else checked out for the period. An offer was made to assist with a limited amount of research, and access to documents they possess for my research.
The search for additional details continues.

crop.jpg

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the coolest stories on this forum.

Thanks scotto,
and How da, as Sam Houston would say.

It just so happens that yesterday morning The Texas State Archive which is also The Republic of Texas Archive, notified me they found a few boxes of unprocessed documents from the Treasury Department and the Comptrollers Office, including a box of cancelled Republic of Texas currency of the type I am looking for. I will be setting up an appointment to examine these items soon.

Recently, this story took another turn.
When my mother first told me about the Sam Houston book as she called it, she mentioned an Indian band that she would have to look for. Things progressed slowly with the pocketbook / ledger at first, then my Mother asked me to look in to it. Since that time I have spent a tremendous amount of my free time learning about Sam Houston and looking for clues to the pocketbook / ledger. I have read so many Letters from Houston that I feel I almost have a window into his soul. In 1809, 16 year old Sam left his family and lived with the Cherokee. He would be tied to them for the rest of his life. As I conducted my research and learned more and more about his interaction with the Indians in Texas, I learned of Chief Bowles who led the Cherokee in Eastern Texas and was the defacto chief of a few other loosely affiliated bands of Indians in the area. In the ramp up to war, Houston made a treaty with Bowles to keep the Indians from allying with Mexico.
Pages 66 of Mary Whatley Clarke's "Chief Bowles and The Texas Cherokees" mentions a letter from Sam Houston to Bowles, written from Goliad eight days before the battle of San Jacinto in which reference is made to moccasins he had received from his Indian sister. Page 67 mentions Sam often received handmade items from Chief Bowles granddaughter, Mary. The San Jacinto Museum has one of his moccasins. and it is noted to have been made with the same lazy stitch beadwork as our item. Here is a link to a Sam Houston moccasin in The San Jacinto Museum. PERSONAL ARTIFACTS - MOCCASIN Detail.

Over the recent Thanksgiving Holiday , I asked my Mother about the band. She produced it and I took the enclosed photos. The band had been rolled up for years, so I had to hold it flat. While taking the pictures a red bead came off, so I rolled it back up and put it away. Of course I thought this would be cool if it were Cherokee, and I can tie it back to Houston. Here is the link to a discussion of this band on The North American Indian Artifact Forum. I am also in discussion with experts in Early Cherokee Beadwork.
Plenty to research.

attachment.jpg DSCF0959[1].JPG DSCF0971[1].JPG

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Sam Houston's or not, it's very cool. Sounds like the research end is the most enjoyable part about the find. BTW, my wife is kin to Ole' Sam. Her great grandmother, who I met shortly before her passing many years ago, actually carried the Houston name.

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam Houston's or not, it's very cool. Sounds like the research end is the most enjoyable part about the find. BTW, my wife is kin to Ole' Sam. Her great grandmother, who I met shortly before her passing many years ago, actually carried the Houston name.

I do find the research enjoyable.
I also think its cool that the Texas State Archives believes I have a strong enough case, to grant me access to Republic of Texas material.

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting