1917 Merchandise Token from Wilder, Idaho

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ritza--Welcome to TN! The Charles E. Mitchell general store operated from about 1917 to 1922 when it was consolidated into the Wilder Hardware Co. There were probably 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢ & $1 tokens comprising the "set" his store used, although I have not personally seen the 10¢ and 25¢ ones. They were used to purchase butter and eggs from local farmers. The farmer was given a choice of tokens (which supposedly could only be spent in the store) or cash at a discount. So, for instance, when Mrs. Smith brought in her produce, she could get $4 in tokens or maybe $3.25 in cash. Another use was to extend credit to customers who were short on cash - maybe waiting for harvest. The store would give the customer $10 in tokens as a loan. Again, the intent was that the tokens would be spent back in the store, but in many locations, the tokens were accepted by the barber, harnessmaker, etc. Value--I'd make you an offer if you pm me, or you could try your luck with eBay, etc.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
R

Ritza

Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. Just couldn't find any information on the internet so thought I would try out here. Not sure if I am going to sell it yet but if I ever do I will post it out here first then try ebay. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread