"1652"Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling

Vineyarder

Greenie
Nov 29, 2015
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the site tonight I just wanted to share this coin with you guys and see if I could get any info like grade, rarity, or value. I've been detecting for a couple years now and have not found anything of this significance. I found this coin in my hometown on Martha's Vineyard 2 days ago. It is pretty well worn as I found it on a beach but hoping my photos show enough detail for you guys, thanks... image.jpg image.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT CLEAN IT. Even in rough shape they are worth a lot. I'd take it to a reputable coin dealer and let him take a look, if real its the find of a lifetime. Congrats.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome and congrats! I don't have the base to weigh in on authenticity, die variety, etc...so I'll just ditto what smokey said and look forward to seeing the experts post. Fingers crossed for you!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking a quick look at the Coinfacts site your reverse seems to best match NOE 16 or NOE 18/19. However, the little you can see on your obverse eliminates those three, but being everything is so close I figured it may be NOE 17, which I googled and everything looks pretty good. I also Googled NOE 20 and it is not a match, and the NOE 25 obverse changes so it is not a match. So where I got to is what's left to rule out are some of the rare ones... a few before NOE 16, and NOE 21-24. All that said, I think it's most likely going to be NOE 17, and only being listed for rarity as Very Scare the lack of both rarity and condition is not going to make your find a very valuable coin as far as Pine Tree Shillings go. It would be worth the effort to track down the others and rule them out, because some do have the rarity to make a difference, but I think it will end up being NOE 17.

Pine Tree Silver Coins

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!! Wolfie called to tell me about it yesterday. What a great find!! Congrats!!

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy crap :BangHead:, still on the bucket list for me!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good gosh! That's amazing! These things seem to be popping out regularly lately! Huge congrats on a great piece of American coinage. Even though it's worth a small fortune, let's forget the value for a minute and think about who's hands this may have touched in the late 1600s when it was in circulation!:hello2::hello2:

OP
OP
Vineyarder

Vineyarder

Greenie
Nov 29, 2015
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your comments! IronPatch thank you for your input on variety. That being said about its condition, what could be a conservative estimate on its value?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a stellar find.
Banner coin all day long.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your comments! IronPatch thank you for your input on variety. That being said about its condition, what could be a conservative estimate on its value?

I do think it's probably NOE-17, but wouldn't bet my life at this point so keep that in mind, and see what result others determine it to be. As for value Noe-17 is on the common side as far as these go so if you find some sales for condition that seems about equal, and the coin is listed as either scarce, very scarce, or even rare, chances are yours would be in that range.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely beautiful find. Please, take breath, and relax; it's not going anywhere. It's your choice whether to clean or not, but I recommend to leave it alone. I think you have a great piece of history there. Thanks for sharing.

aj

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look under up Pine Tree shilling on ebay, then arrange it priced highest first and then go to "sold" or "completed listings" and see what is there. A few have sold recently and they were in pretty worn condition and sold for $500-$1200 but I do not know which version they were or yours is. I voted BANNER! That coin deserves it!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net and thanks for sharing the Pinetree shilling. Nice avatar!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is that you George W?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for value a person has to be careful using the Redbook because it often does not take variety into account, but assuming it's NOE-17, a more common variety, you can use the book as a guideline... so basically the coin would be worth $600-$800 in G condition. And I think that's probably about right because I would not sell it for much less than $600, but wouldn't expect to get more than $800. A light cleaning would no doubt help the eye appeal and put it up at that higher level.

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking a quick look at the Coinfacts site your reverse seems to best match NOE 16 or NOE 18/19. However, the little you can see on your obverse eliminates those three, but being everything is so close I figured it may be NOE 17, which I googled and everything looks pretty good. I also Googled NOE 20 and it is not a match, and the NOE 25 obverse changes so it is not a match. So where I got to is what's left to rule out are some of the rare ones... a few before NOE 16, and NOE 21-24. All that said, I think it's most likely going to be NOE 17, and only being listed for rarity as Very Scare the lack of both rarity and condition is not going to make your find a very valuable coin as far as Pine Tree Shillings go. It would be worth the effort to track down the others and rule them out, because some do have the rarity to make a difference, but I think it will end up being NOE 17.

Pine Tree Silver Coins
============================================
Huh ??
What does NOE mean?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread