14k gold ladies watch

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored this today at an estate sale in a large box lot of junk for $5. I actually bought the box which was mostly old bathroom junk and trash because I spied an old boy scout knife in the box. I was very happily supprised to find this in the bottom with an old casio calculator watch and an older timex rectangle face england watch.

The casing back is marked "14k gold" on the outside and "14k gold B&A 38645" on the inside. The band is marked 14K on the clasp. The face of the internals is pretty dirty and says "quartz" and "swiss" at the bottom. The mechanism is battery powered and is marked " V8 swiss Six 6 jewels", "unadjusted", and "976001". I didnt get a good picture of it, but the dial on the side is gold with a black stone on the end.

How do I know if the diamonds around the bezel are real?
Is this worth cleaning up and sticking a battery in it to get it running or worth about scrap?
How much is it worth? Thanks!

Attachments

• P1010416.JPG
    P1010416.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • P1010415.JPG
    P1010415.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 131
  • P1010417.JPG
    P1010417.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010412.JPG
    P1010412.JPG
    571 KB · Views: 120
  • P1010413.JPG
    P1010413.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 146

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
The band looks to be " tri-color " gold. Would need to be tested to be sure. Diamonds are so small, they would be worth about nothing, same for mechanism. I would have it tested & weighed . Sell it for scrap & try to get 92-95% of its scrap value. OR, you could get it all cleaned up & put a new mechanism in it . Then try to sell it or give it to a lady you are crazy about.

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the band has the three colors of gold in it. This is not something my wife is interested in so planning on selling it. To sell it for scrap, should I put it together and weigh it whole or what? The internals of the movement look gold, so would the gears and such inside it be gold as well?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one like that sometime ago. All I got left now is the crystal and movement, because I scrapped the band and case. Fixed up and running could possibly get you more then scrap. ??

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if the gold colored internals on the movement would also be 14k gold on a watch like this? The watch as a whole weighs a little over 14 g. Without the movement its 12.6g. Should I take out the glass and the diamonds and then sell it based on weight? Not sure the best way to go about selling it.

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Just sell the band & watch back . The " movement ," if it doesn't work, is worth nothing. If it works, or you bought a new movement, reassembled it & polished everything, could sell for the most, but you have to find the RIGHT buyer. A buyer of scrap gold will deduct for the stones & crystal.
As I stated above , try to get 92-95% of the value, which is calculated below.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][h=1]Calculated Scrap Gold Value[/h][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica] Submitted on May 1, 2016[/FONT]
[h=4]Values Entered:[/h]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Gold Weight: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]12 grams (equals 7.72 DWT, also known aspennyweight)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Purity:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]14k[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Gold Price: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]$1294.40 / troy ounce[/FONT]
[h=4]Answer:[/h][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Total gold value is $291.31.

This doesn't mean you should expect to receive $291.31 from a buyer. This amount represents the current melt value using the live gold price.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know if the gold colored internals on the movement would also be 14k gold on a watch like this? The watch as a whole weighs a little over 14 g. Without the movement its 12.6g. Should I take out the glass and the diamonds and then sell it based on weight? Not sure the best way to go about selling it.

It is highly unlikely that the internals (i.e. gears and such) of the movement are Gold! However, the plates may be Gold and you should have the parts tested. Remove the Diamonds and keep them for possible future use in jewelry that might need a stone. I assume you are talking about the Crystal when you asked about what to do about the glass! If so, remove it and have it checked to see if it is a Sapphire Crystal. Sapphire Crystals were used on many high-end Gold watches and you can possibly sell it to someone who needs that exact Crystal which will likely fit many Women's watches. You will need to measure the length, width and thickness of the Crystal, so potential Buyers will know what you have and if sold on eBay, the measurements are a must!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread