kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there any marks, stamps or numbers on the bottoms of the seats?

What's the overall condition of each chair? Meaning, are they going to collapse if someone sits in them?

...Is it me or.....something looks off with the 1st chair - the rocker.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any marks, stamps or numbers on the bottoms of the seats?

What's the overall condition of each chair? Meaning, are they going to collapse if someone sits in them?

...Is it me or.....something looks off with the 1st chair - the rocker.
Thanks for the reply kcm The first rocker is a little askew but solid. The rest are very solid. There are no marks that I noticed. I was going to 125 on each but don't want to undersell any. Thanks for looking.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I could help you on price, but we've been out of the market for way too many years. I seem to have become an old fogie - you know, one of those old men who thinks a dime will still buy just about anything you need - except a gallon of gas! :laughing9:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
The very last one is pretty cool, I have, had (who knows if they are still there) 2 sitting in the living back home at the ranch. Both where W. R. Dallas. Not sure if they are still there or not though.

The others I could not say but that one sure does look like the ones I have or had. I really do not know what year they where, purchased before I was born and purchased new along with some other WRD stuff that may or may not still be there.

120 sounds good on the rest, but I do not know what they are. Now if they are from a company like WRD then 120 would be a great deal for someone, just not you. If that is a WRD then you should Sit On It (lol) until you can get 450-600 for it.

Just my thoughts.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Undersell? The first on is a really modern windsor style rocker, the second one 20s-40s low quality rocker, third not much, you would be lucky to get $20 for each of those around here, really lucky. The last one looks like a mission style rocker and may be worth your price or maybe a little more to the right customer, if it were marked by a famous maker it would be better.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks that puts me in the ball park! I'll look at that last rocker a little closer. It nice to turn things over:) I appreciate the replies!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When my Mother was in the business she had a huge library she used for not only pricing but the history. These stories help sell. That's what I'd suggest along with reprints of Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs. The furniture they sold were like the oak furniture that's common in the East.

Antique Trader and Warman's were useful. In the mean time your local library might have a price guide. Guessing is not a great way to price anything. Just saying.

I agree with Gunsel on the Windsor. Looks like a modern interpretation but w/o actually seeing it I could be wrong. I don't think you'll get much for the straight chair because few people want just one chair unless the chair was intended to stand alone like the rockers.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my Mother was in the business she had a huge library she used for not only pricing but the history. These stories help sell. That's what I'd suggest along with reprints of Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs. The furniture they sold were like the oak furniture that's common in the East.

Antique Trader and Warman's were useful. In the mean time your local library might have a price guide. Guessing is not a great way to price anything. Just saying.

I agree with Gunsel on the Windsor. Looks like a modern interpretation but w/o actually seeing it I could be wrong. I don't think you'll get much for the straight chair because few people want just one chair unless the chair was intended to stand alone like the rockers.
Thats a good idea to sell them with the advertisements!!! Thanks!

The rocker with the caned seat has reminds me of Eastlake furniture.....here's a link to similar looking chairs/rockers.....https://www.google.com/search?q=eas....9#tbm=isch&q=eastlake+rockers+with+cane+seat

Thanks for the link!!!

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a nice East Lake cane rocker (and not that "spline" cane newer stuff). And that windsor is nice too. Too bad it isn't a Wallace Nutting!
It's hard to say the value, because that depends on where you're located. I know CO would command more for items then WI
But what $ I have no idea in CO
Here in WI, I would ask $ 150.00 easy for the east lake cane seat chair. The windsor rocker is a tough one. If it was marked, that would help. But don't discount it. I don't believe it's "valuable", but you might be able to fetch $125
I was at an auction many years ago, with dozens of seasoned antique dealers (I was a dealer too, but much younger).
There was a windsor chair there and all the old time dealers were snubbing their noses at it thinking it used to be a rocker, but someone cut the rockers off.
I liked it and had a feeling. I bid on it and won it for $45.00
I got it home, took a good look at the bottom of the seat, and sure 'nuff, it was a Wallace Nutting!I sold it for $1,200
I think for the rest though $75 is about fair. But I was heavy into refinishing, so I got a lot more for my chairs.
In retrospect, the damage to my lounges and all the hard work, was it worth it? Heck yeah! lol...I had fun turning the almighty dollar!

Edit: P.S. I forgot the Mission style rocker. Mission was all the rage 25/35 years ago, not too much now, and it's a simple rocker.
If it's sturdy and the seat is intact, I can see it worth about $200. It's oak after all, and shows the nice quarter sawn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Alchemy, I will always love old chairs. I have a few to refinish that I will enjoy doing. I inherited all my grandfathers caning supplies. He refinished that East Lake. The garage had the smell of stripper. I appreciate the advise. It should be a busy weekend everyone always asks about the thing that isn't priced.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
What Alchemy was saying about pricing and location is true.
I was told that when so many Americans migrated from the East to the West they often left their furniture back home but took glass, jewelry and more portable things. Antique stores in the West had glass of museum quality.
I know trucks would pick up furniture in the East for cheap and resell in the West. I was in Illinois at the time and the oak furniture we hardly valued would go for $$ in California.
Don't know if that's still the case but it was easy money back then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread