Coins from my (101 year old) Great Grandmother. What are they worth?

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I previously made 2 threads detailing a few items that my 101 year old Great Grandmother gave me as gifts. Well, recently she told me that her father (my great great grandfather) collected coins and she gained after his death, and that she wanted me to have them. I was hoping someone could provide me with values maybe even a name to the coin? Thank you all so much!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am right, there was no shield nickel minted in 1865. Not a bad collection. Nothing of significant value, but you have a few worth a fair amount of money.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1843 seated liberty half dime------1893 Columbian expo half dollar----1866 3 cent [nickel]-------1858 flying eagle penny-----1866 shield nickel----most of us don't like to put a dollar amount value wise, as opinions vary

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
101 years old! That's so awesome! Very nice of her to give you the coins. She must think highly of you.

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
101 years old! That's so awesome! Very nice of her to give you the coins. She must think highly of you.

Yep! Just turned. She's an amazing woman. My family and I live next to her on her farm (she was born there and has lived there ever since). She's worked every day of her life and has lived through so many events. It is astounding. It is truly amazing how good of a state she is in for her age. She can recall memories back to the early 20's. I've heard so many stories that I would love to share on here, plus she has SO MANY little things, like these coins, that she's collected over her long life. I am very grateful for the items she's given me. And I'd like to think that she does :).

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do not need the money, do not sell them, as least wait after she had die. Her farm is great place to seek buried coins. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do not need the money, do not sell them, as least wait after she had die. Her farm is great place to seek buried coins. Good hunting and good luck.

I do not plan on selling them, or any of the other items she has given me. I am going to make a very large post soon containing more items she gave me :). I would love to find some buried coins, but I am missing one important thing- a metal detector haha. Anybody have a suggestion for a great (maybe affordable) one? Thanks!

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your nickel must be 1866 just worn weird.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
for a good relatively inexpensive machine check out the fisher F2 or the garrett 250. either of those would be fine for coin hunting.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a tremendous amount of value due to condition/rarity. Probably less than $50 for the group. The Columbian Exposition half dollar is probably half the value of the group. It's a nice little group of coins, but with the exception of the half dollar they are either worn or damaged. Hope I didn't burst a bubble. It was a nice gift from your great grandmother.

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a tremendous amount of value due to condition/rarity. Probably less than $50 for the group. The Columbian Exposition half dollar is probably half the value of the group. It's a nice little group of coins, but with the exception of the half dollar they are either worn or damaged. Hope I didn't burst a bubble. It was a nice gift from your great grandmother.

No bubble was burst :)! I didn't know if they had any value or not, I just wanted to appease my own curiosity haha. Thank you for the reply though!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Since you love that woman ancestor, do not think of their cash value. They are valuable to you because she is valuable to you. The cash they would bring would be only money of no special long term value. Spent and gone in the first week, probably. That is my opinion for what it's worth.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes that a good gift,i have never saw a half dollar like that,thanks for sharing

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd estimate, in order of the pictures.
$30
$50
$25
$30
$35

But truly the value of having coins you 101 year old grandmother gave you is pricless

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet coins, 1843 is the year my house was built....

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how many Columbian Exposition coins are still out there. It's a beautiful coin and I wish they were worth more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread