Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got these 2 yesterday at yard sale,older gent claimed left from his mother who had been an antique dealer and he was cleaning out some items.So hoping an axe guy will chime in to tell me approx value before I ebay them.Have seen the True Temper one on Ebay but all others have a NO.DHF,this has no other writing on it other than name.Other one is a broadhead and only thing I can possibly make out is Nashua NH NO.2,only company I could find in Nashua was Underhill Edge Tool Co.,and seems they were bought out in 1890.Be nice if that is that old but doubt it,hoping the orange is a giveaway to someone identifying maker....any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF6014.JPG
    DSCF6014.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
  • DSCF6015.JPG
    DSCF6015.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • DSCF6017.JPG
    DSCF6017.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF6026.JPG
    DSCF6026.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • DSCF6027.JPG
    DSCF6027.JPG
    608.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF6028.JPG
    DSCF6028.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • DSCF6029.JPG
    DSCF6029.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 113

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to say it but you would be lucky to get 5 bucks each for those. Better off selling what you can and using what is left.

These are not desired heads for us collectors.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked Ebay,last TRUE Temper with No.DH went for $18,and saw one looks exactly like mine sold for $30...little better than $5....if broadhead is only worth $5 I assume you know the maker to make this claim?

I hate to say it but you would be lucky to get 5 bucks each for those. Better off selling what you can and using what is left.

These are not desired heads for us collectors.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Just checked Ebay,last TRUE Temper with No.DH went for $18,and saw one looks exactly like mine sold for $30...little better than $5....if broadhead is only worth $5 I assume you know the maker to make this claim?

Yes I do know the maker, I have been collecting heads from all over for the past 40 years.

Good luck with your sales, you may get lucky and find you a sucker or someone who actually wants to display one of those in their collection. I would lean more towards sucker than display.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So whos the maker of the orange broadhead,only came on here seeking info on these,and not wrong for me say what some have been selling for.Why didnt you mention maker in first reply,thats what I was asking?

Yes I do know the maker, I have been collecting heads from all over for the past 40 years.

Good luck with your sales, you may get lucky and find you a sucker or someone who actually wants to display one of those in their collection. I would lean more towards sucker than display.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
U.S. made axes,of good quality being made today at a reasonable cost are few. If that.
A favorite belt axe I used for historical events cost me 25 or fifty cents decades ago. Well worn , still keen , and appreciated.
Most axe heads , (in my 2 cent opinion) ,that contain good steel or at least a quality steel insert at it's bit is worth more than the low to medium quality new ones.

Improper sharpening , damaged polls ,ect. Detract from value.

I don't recognise your orange specimen and computer is ill so research is on hold....
Paint on an item that old is suspected owner applied for visibility?
I'm no fan of nail pulling notches (which serve their roofing shakes ect. purpose regardless of my opinion) but your truetemper looks versatile.
If common and low valued(still worth more than a cheap new one any day) it could be modified for another belt axe....O.K. , I'm not looking...l.o.l.

Quality steel axes are pricey today.
For actual use? Quality matters!
Not looking to buy ,but own more old steel than new lesser quality ones for a couple reasons ,mentioned above.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you,thought about paint as possibly being from maker but does make sense for owner to paint to help find if left somewhere in the woods.Only bought these with thoughts of reselling on Ebay,and dont like auction style as more likely to get a nonpayer,and didnt want to short change myself if a buy it now sale,might just take chance on auction style.I live less than 100 miles from Nashua NH and never heard of axe from there,but then again I was never into them until I stated detecting the old ones.Was hoping Oddjob was going to give me a heads up on maker,but see he is gone offline.Also,I was hesitant about buying the roofing one but got better deal on buying the 2...and I do believe its got some age to it...maybe Oddjob right and only worth $5,will have to see what people bid it up to.

U.S. made axes,of good quality being made today at a reasonable cost are few. If that.
A favorite belt axe I used for historical events cost me 25 or fifty cents decades ago. Well worn , still keen , and appreciated.
Most axe heads , (in my 2 cent opinion) ,that contain good steel or at least a quality steel insert at it's bit is worth more than the low to medium quality new ones.

Improper sharpening , damaged polls ,ect. Detract from value.

I don't recognise your orange specimen and computer is ill so research is on hold....
Paint on an item that old is suspected owner applied for visibility?
I'm no fan of nail pulling notches (which serve their roofing shakes ect. purpose regardless of my opinion) but your truetemper looks versatile.
If common and low valued(still worth more than a cheap new one any day) it could be modified for another belt axe....O.K. , I'm not looking...l.o.l.

Quality steel axes are pricey today.
For actual use? Quality matters!
Not looking to buy ,but own more old steel than new lesser quality ones for a couple reasons ,mentioned above.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Market looks soft on fleabay.
Your TrueTemper ,s twin has a bid of 9.75 going on it so far.
No names are not getting much attention and for a plain jane workhorse it looks like a buyers market ,with exceptions for something like a hudson bay
pattern.

Available quantities factor in utility items in most sales though......
Chainsaws and less woodsmen too are not boosting axe popularity.
There is a tiny group of users though.
Had I many steel axes to part with I might barter with some Amish or back to the landers,survivalists,preppers, ect.

One painted axe was Pa. Marked ,but don't know if it was original.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went better than I thought it would,was 3 bidders for True Temper head and it sold for $24.50.Sent email to NASHUA NH historical society about other hatchet head and waiting on reply,thinking it is an Underhill head and will pass info along so others may benfit.

Market looks soft on fleabay.
Your TrueTemper ,s twin has a bid of 9.75 going on it so far.
No names are not getting much attention and for a plain jane workhorse it looks like a buyers market ,with exceptions for something like a hudson bay
pattern.

Available quantities factor in utility items in most sales though......
Chainsaws and less woodsmen too are not boosting axe popularity.
There is a tiny group of users though.
Had I many steel axes to part with I might barter with some Amish or back to the landers,survivalists,preppers, ect.

One painted axe was Pa. Marked ,but don't know if it was original.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions