fordphan

Greenie
Aug 8, 2016
Ridgeway, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law found this item at the family homestead many years ago. He took it to the Indian museum in Indianapolis a few years ago, they told him it was a very important piece and was most likely from the Mound Builders who were in the Ill, Ind, Oh. They said it could be as much as 4000 years old. They wouldn't put a price on it as they don't buy things they want donations. The figure looks like a sitting man or woman or possibly a animal of some sort. I would like to know the worth of it or at least some more history. I hope some one can direct me to some one with more knowledge than I. Thanks. 100_8454.JPG 100_8458.JPG 100_8460.JPG 100_8462.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need better pictures, the flash or light you have on for the picture has washed all the detail away... What is it made of?

OP
OP
F

fordphan

Greenie
Aug 8, 2016
Ridgeway, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what it is made of. I will try to get some better pictures. Here is some more info I found that my brother had made. The people at American Indian Center of Indiana Told him the piece was from 2500-8000 BC most likely made by "The Mound Builders" who were in that area. This was found with some other items near by and some of these were called "Burrin" Thanks

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need better close ups and something for size comparison. Could have been carved out of bone.

OP
OP
F

fordphan

Greenie
Aug 8, 2016
Ridgeway, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took some more pictures, I hope they show better. 100_8874.JPG 100_8875.JPG 100_8887.JPG 100_8878.JPG 100_8876.JPG

OP
OP
F

fordphan

Greenie
Aug 8, 2016
Ridgeway, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The figure feels like bone or a very smooth stone. We found other items in the same area as this, but these were all much later items I think. There were arrow heads and sharped stones called "Finger Knives" a very large tooth a small sharks tooth and other odd shaped Items. Here are some more pictures, I used a magnifier case and put a .25 piece next to it for size comparison. 100_8889.JPG 100_8895.JPG 100_8894.JPG 100_8893.JPG 100_8892.JPG 100_8891.JPG

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4,000 years old - LOL
not sure they had drill and sand paper 4,000 years ago, I could be wrong
need micro / macro pic of the surface
What's the purpose of the hole in the bottom
Game piece ?

Brady

OP
OP
F

fordphan

Greenie
Aug 8, 2016
Ridgeway, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think this is a laughing matter. I notice you did not give us your, I'm sure learned opinion Brady as to the date of the item. I have included some new pictures of some of the other items we found in and around our G Great father's farm. He was given title to the land in 1893, it included 160 acres. They had to improve the land and build living space in order to remain on the land and get a clear title. Their farm turned out to be the last farm in side the city limits of Indianapolis. We moved there in the 50s, it still had a barn, chicken coop, windmill and several smaller sheds. My brother and I found all sorts of "Neat" things such as glass eggs, pony shoes, hand made nails. The buildings were put together with wooden pegs. The lumber for the buildings came from the land. The property was in our family until 2014, when my brother passed away. My GGF & aunt won many ribbons and prizes at the Indiana State Fair. My aunt won the Grand Prize for her Quilt, she was awarded a set of Sterling Silverware, a big blue ribbon and $50, this was quite bit back then. The funny thing about the silverware, it was engraved with my aunt's initials witch were the same as my brother's. Thanks for all the good info. 100_0749.JPG 100_0736.JPG 100_0737.JPG 100_0738.JPG 100_0739.JPG 100_0750.JPG 100_0751.JPG 100_0745.JPG 100_0746.JPG

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly an interesting piece. If i was you i'd try to get some close up picks and get them to some other museums and colleges.

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
You should post this in the North American Indian Artifact Forum. There are some very knowledgeable people there and they may be able to help you. To me, what stands out, is the hole on bottom of it. Almost looks like it was made for a pencil. I may be wrong but I am leaning towards this thing being a pencil topper. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
F

fordphan

Greenie
Aug 8, 2016
Ridgeway, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people at the Indian center on the pictured card would have certainly known if it was something as worthless as a pencil topper! The item could be a tooth or the center of a bone. The way the figure is posed, what ever it is meant something to what ever group of people this was associated with. The man at the Indian Center told us it predates anything he had seen before, that is why he referred to it as "Prehistoric" Thanks

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad you didn't find the prehistoric pencil, you could have re-wrote history. :laughing9:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, this is definitely a modern era onyx "speak no evil" monkey carving.....

Here we see the one from this thread, compared to somewhat cruder onyx carvings of the very same monkey figure.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The people at the Indian center on the pictured card would have certainly known if it was something as worthless as a pencil topper! The item could be a tooth or the center of a bone. The way the figure is posed, what ever it is meant something to what ever group of people this was associated with. The man at the Indian Center told us it predates anything he had seen before, that is why he referred to it as "Prehistoric" Thanks

I looked at the staff directory and the board of directors for that Native American center, and since I saw that none were archaeologists dealing with prehistoric America, and none professed to be artifact collectors, I immediately had my doubts that they really knew what they were talking about. And clearly, they did not have the experience needed to recognize that your brother's find was a modern onyx carving. These are very commonly sold at rock and mineral shows, many as tiny carved animals. I just saw many onyx figurines at a rock and mineral show a few days ago, in fact. So I was familiar with onyx figurines. Finding examples of "speak no evil" onyx monkeys clinched it for me. So, not your fault, but you extended too much credit for expertise to that center, when they had no expertise at all.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread