l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from those pictures, both look like they might be cleaned and or damaged?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THEY WOULD BE GRADED AS POOR AS FAR AS A COIN COLLECTOR WOULD TELL YOU
MOST DETECTORISTS WOULD SAY PRETTY GOOD - ESPECIALLY IF THEY NEVER FOUND ONE
I FOUND ONE IN ABOVE XF (LINES IN SHIELD YOU COULD ALMOST CUT YOUR FINGERS ON)
- BUT IT HAD A LIME GREEN PATINA - COIN COLLECTORS ALL SHIED AWAY FROM IT CAUSE THEY KNEW IT WAS DUG
LUCKILY ONE GUY THOUGHT IT WAS A SMALL MOTTO AND BOUGHT IT OFF ME FOR OVER $100 - THIS WAS IN LIKE 1980
I WAS A TEEN WHEN FOUND ---WISH I STILL HAD IT THOUGH

OP
OP
B

Bucknutt39

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks for the input.These were unreadable so i did clean them so i could get dates.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Thanks for the input.These were unreadable so i did clean them so i could get dates.
no 1 rule once you have found and recovered it without damaging it... the only cleaning you should ever give them is a simple soaking in clean warm water and a light scrubbing with a very soft brush to remove any dirt or other loose debris. brightening them up in any way will destroy their value to a collector...

cjweber

Sep 26, 2016
Missouri (for now)
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, and that damned old Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO!!! NO SCRUBBING whatsoever!!! use hydrogen peroxide, or Acetone to clean a coin IF NECESSARY! and NEVER scrub, you can use a q-tip, but never scrub with it, roll it across the surface and it will pick up loosened particles... it takes a lot of time and effort, but it is the only safe way to clean a coin... anything else will ruin them... Sorry about the all caps yelling but this is something I am passionate about... it is better to have them dirty than to have all the micro swirl scrub marks on your coins... If you have already made such mistakes, there are very few things you can do, but one option is to walk around with the coin in your shoe for a couple weeks, that should soften the cleaning marks... (just fyi)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I used the hot peroxide on a nice 2-center I'd dug. I wish now I hadn't. What was worse was the virgin olive oil.

Someone posted the Petroleum jelly/q-tip method - tried that and I like the results.

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These would not grade poor, only a details genuine grade because they are damaged or cleaned. If they were poor with no details grade they would be worth something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread