Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
byzantine gold solidus. Not sure of exact model here but some quick research pulled up prices from $800-1500. Though the relief looks way less in detailed then most of these I have see; almost as if it was an earlier coin, not worn down. So have it looked at by experts. Where did you come across this?

OP
OP
H

hazy

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for reply
it's "islamic byzantine" coin

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your coin is similar to those of Heraclius 610-641 AD (in the center) with his sons, Heraclius Constantine, on his right and his other son, Heraclonas on his left. Heraclius is shown with a long beard and moustache, while his two sons are beardless. The pics shown do not reveal the crowns. Heraclius and his elder son would be crowned, but Heraclonas would be uncrowned and wearing a plain cap.
If it is a Heraclius coin, there are (from my count) about 20+ variations. Without first verification of its specific identity, authenticity and variation, citing a value would be premature.
Don......
PS: Welcome to Treasure Net !!

OP
OP
H

hazy

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello
It's a piece similar to those you have spoken about it with different date (691-692-693), it's a first islamic gold coin.
thanks Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it were from the 691-693 period, that would be during the reign of Justinian II (685-695). I'm not familiar with any of his coins showing a 'threesome' nor without a mint mark or letters at the base on the reverse--and that raises a 'caution flag' with me.Then again, I'm not an expert, only an old researcher.
Don......

OP
OP
H

hazy

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's the same historical period, thanks again don appreciate your help.

OP
OP
H

hazy

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was examined the coin, it's gold, 24k almost, maybe less a little. the weight a little minus of the original position of the weight-like pieces in that period,Approximate Weight Is 4.10 to 4.18g.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions