1994 d penny silver size as nickel

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A penny made of silver the size of a nickel? Yea, pics please!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

leo559

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20170218_200247_956.jpg

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely it was a regular penny and somebody decided to practice plating on it. I doubt that's silver that was used either. Either that or it's counterfeit.

leo559

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets counterfeit a penny how many would you have to counterfeit to profit they made it the wrong size and would it be similar to the 1974 aluminum penny

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I never said they counterfeited it for profit, but even an oversized imitation penny of the wrong metal could still bring the feds down on you.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just altered, there are a couple of ways to do it. Heating until the zinc starts to expand but not quite melt, or by putting between two pieces of a softer material like leather and pounding it out. They have been posted here before.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was leaning towards a 1994-D Lincoln Cent struck on a Nickel Planchet until I saw the pics but now I am really not sure what to think! Although the rim appears slightly larger than normal, it doesn't seem large enough nor does there appear to be large enough of a void between the rim and the lettering/details to be a Cent struck on a Nickel Planchet. Besides, it appears to be a Zinc Planchet versus a .750 percent Copper and .250 percent Nickel Planchet for minting Nickels. If I had to guess without seeing the thickness of the coin, I would say that the Copper plating was removed with acid, then the coin was squeezed in a vice between two pieces of leather and is a man made Error made to deceive an unsuspecting Buyer.

Frank

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1974 aluminum pennies dont oxidize as yours, or oxidize in any visible way under normal conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions