Historical 18th century screw/nail I found encased inside a metal bloom.

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_20160907_155658.jpg
    IMG_20160907_155658.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 79

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Historical 18th century screw/nail I found encased inside a metal bloom. Anyone know how much it is worth?

It's a badly corroded and rusted slot head screw; how did you determine it is from the 18th century?

I'm afraid I don't see any value there, but that's JMHO.

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The museum told me its 18th century.

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is a metal bloom?
Where are you from?

Im from Ottawa Canada...A metal bloom is when a metal artifact over time collects all the soil on the ground and encases itself with in it....kind of like the opposite of erosion. sorry I don't know how else to explain it..thats what the museum told me.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im from Ottawa Canada...A metal bloom is when a metal artifact over time collects all the soil on the ground and encases itself with in it....kind of like the opposite of erosion. sorry I don't know how else to explain it..that's what the museum told me.

Down here in the US I believe we call that "encrusted in rust".

If it was a screw holding the frame of the Mona Lisa together, it might be worth something.
Otherwise, it's just a rusted old screw.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...a rusty screw?!!! I would guess $40,000-$50,000 easy! You're rich. I wish I could find rusty stuff like this, all I find is silver coins and gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread