BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on age/condition/rarity. None of which can be determined from the picture provided. But definitely worth looking into further. The great thing about coins is it only takes one, the right one, to cash in!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
DyeLord Kc:

They look like common world coins - sold by the pound. A dealer might offer you half of what they would retail for.

As BTD correctly points out, it only takes one rare coin to turn a herd into a hoard. There are many excellent guide books to world coins. In your case, you don't even need a current one. You could purchase one that's a few years old for a couple of bucks. You just need to see a particular coin has a value well above the rest. Then take it from there.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take one at a time, type in in on the inter-net, and you'll see everything you might want to know, perhaps even more than you want to know. But I love finding them.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe I can see several very collectible German commemorative or Olympic Coins in with the other coins. If so, then they have quite a bit of Silver in them. They are the one's with the large Eagle on the Reverse.

Frank

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what you are talking about are actually Austrian coins. I can see what I believe is a 1925 1 Dinar from Yugoslavia. Not exceptionally rare, maybe worth one dollar. Here is a picture of the Austrian coins...

IMG_0913.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you think about the coins from Panama with Balboa and the small print? Most of the ones with the small print are .900 Silver as are some of the ones with large print. However, many of the ones with large letters are either Copper and Nickel or .400 Silver.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say a majority if not all the Balboa coins are copper-nickel.

That is really not the case! Out of the 116 Panamanian coins listed (on the 6 pages) on Numista, there are more Silver coins with Balboa's bust which are similar to the one's in the O.P.'s pic than Copper-Nickel coins. I don't think that Numista lists every coin made for or in Panama since 1904, so the tally could shift the other way.

Frank

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should also be based upon the mintage amounts of each coin. Compared to the approximately 5.5 million silver Balboas that look like the OPs coin (1/4 Balboa), there were over 50,000,000 copper-nickel clad copper Balboas minted. So, if there were 100 1/4 Balboas, only 11 of them would be silver.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It should also be based upon the mintage amounts of each coin. Compared to the approximately 5.5 million silver Balboas that look like the OPs coin (1/4 Balboa), there were over 50,000,000 copper-nickel clad copper Balboas minted. So, if there were 100 1/4 Balboas, only 11 of them would be silver.

Numbers as such, take all the fun out of searching for Silver, low mintage and/or rare coins!

Captain Picard: Data, what are our chances of navigating this Asteroid field and surviving?

Data: Well Captain, exactly 500 million to one!

Frank

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Honestly you could probably have a ton of fun researching those coins, selling a few good ones for a few dollars or more if there's a lucky one, then selling the remaining less valuable ones as one big lot. I always enjoy looking through lots like this. I would check those balboas first as well.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The buffalo nickel may be a winner, as well as that tiny silver coin near the bottom, slightly left. Also an older looking copper coin near the mid upper border too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions