1982 Penny

IrishLass

Mar 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone.

I found a 1982 penny that appears to be doubled die or miscast. I am attaching some photos so you can see what I am talking about. It appears that part of what should be on the front of the coin is on the back and vice versus. Any help anyone can tell me about the coin would be great. I am new to this stuff. Thank you.

Attachments

• Penny Front.jpg
    Penny Front.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Penny Back.jpg
    Penny Back.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 192

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
You have two things going on with the obverse. First, a misaligned obverse die. Very minor. Little or no value. Second, possible die clash. I will let you look up the term. Careful, though. Many coins that appear to have die clash error are the victim of post mint damage due to two stacked coins being struck or pressed together, transferring part of the image. I did that a lot 50 years ago. Hammers are still fun.

There are other post mint possibilities, but since it is time for more coffee, I will leave that to others.

More coffee, madam barista.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one like that too that is more defined that came from a roll, definitely an eye catcher!

DOMINGO1993

Sep 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1982 penny like that also but the detail is very near perfect. I only made an account her to try and get more information about it. Mine looks like it has a bit of silver to it. I work at 7-eleven and I found it in the register.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Many coins that appear to have die clash error are the victim of post mint damage due to two stacked coins being struck or pressed together, transferring part of the image...

Great point however if the two coins were stacked or pressed together the columns of the Lincoln Memorial would be a negative Imprint . The specimen that IrishLass has shown I. The photo is clearly a positive relief . If the mint created the damage then it would be an error.

Nice find IrishLass. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread